Here it is! Tampa boy....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SIGman

This explains it, Ladies and gents.... The drugs made him do it.

What did people do before they had excuses to commit suicide, thats what I want to know.

I took the stuff, and I didn't sympathize with terrorists.

Student pilot prescribed drug linked to suicide

By Vickie Chachere
The Associated Press
Posted January 8 2002, 6:34 PM EST

TAMPA -- A 15-year-old student pilot who killed himself by crashing an airplane into a skyscraper was prescribed an acne medication whose links to suicide and depression have been the subject of federal inquiries, law enforcement officials said Tuesday.

A prescription for Accutane, used to treat severe acne, was found at the home of Charles J. Bishop, Pinellas County Sheriff's Maj. Sam Lynn said. ``We are aware that he had a prescription,'' Tampa police spokeswoman Katie Hughes said. ``We don't know if he was taking it, how long ... We don't know those details.''

Calls to Bishop's family were not returned Wednesday. The Food and Drug Administration says 147 people taking Accutane, which affects the body's central nervous system, either committed suicide or were hospitalized for suicide attempts from 1982 to May 2000.

There has yet to be any conclusive evidence, however, that the drug causes depression or suicide, and the manufacturer maintains it is safe.

Toxicology tests that will determine if any drugs were in Bishop's system will be completed in about two weeks, said Lee Miller, an associate medical examiner with the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office.

Bishop, a freshman at East Lake High School, stole an airplane from a flight school at the St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport on Saturday and crashed it into the 28th floor of the Bank of America Plaza in downtown Tampa. A note expressing sympathy for Osama bin Laden and support of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks was found in his pocket.

Police describe Bishop as a troubled loner. But the youth's family, teachers and flight instructors said he never showed any signs of depression and that his actions Saturday were out of character.

His family and teachers have described him as an intelligent, friendly young man who was not isolated from others.

Hughes said Wednesday that the FBI has found no evidence worth pursuing on the computer hard drives taken from the homes of Bishop and his grandmother. The FBI has subpoenaed Bishop's e-mail in the search for more clues.

Police have said that Bishop had no history of psychological problems or illegal drug use.

Accutane's link to suicide has been the subject of a congressional investigation, spearheaded by Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Michigan, whose 17-year-old son committed suicide while taking the drug. More hearings are scheduled this spring.

Depression has been listed as a possible side effect on Accutane's label since 1986, and the FDA in 1998 strengthened the warning to say suicide, too, was possible.

Since last year, doctors prescribing Accutane have been asked to have patients read and sign an informed consent form warning that some people have developed mental problems while taking the drug.

The makers of the drug, Hoffman-La Roche, have agreed to conduct a study looking at the link between the drug's use and depression, which will begin later this year, company spokeswoman Carolyn Glynn said.

The company denies the drug can cause people to become depressed or suicidal, and said the number of suicides by Accutane users is lower than the general population.

Accutane has been marketed as an acne drug since 1982 and an estimated 12 million patients have used it. The first reports of its connection to suicide and depression came in 1985.

Accutane also has been linked to birth defects and carries strong warnings for women who use it.

Stupak, who has reviewed more than 50 suicides in his investigation of the drug, said there was no explanation for many of the teen-agers involved taking their own lives. In some instances in which suicide notes were left behind, the notes made no sense to survivors, he said.

No one interviewed about Bishop could remember him expressing support for the Sept. 11 attacks before the plane crash.

``Charles and his family have always fully supported our United States' war on terrorism and Osama Bin Laden,'' his family said in a statement released earlier this week.

Copyright © 2002, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Cheers,
D.

What the media is not telling you about Charles Bishop is that his real name was Bishara (the family changed it) and his father is either Syrian or Lebanese. His parents are divorced and he hadn't seen him in a long time.

So the OBL identification makes a little more sense now.

I KNEW it wasn't the kid's fault. I love hour our liberal media and society obsessed with political correctness have to assign blame anywhere but with those responsible. "His childhood was rough", "He was on medication". Please.

ifly4food said:
I KNEW it wasn't the kid's fault. I love hour our liberal media and society obsessed with political correctness have to assign blame anywhere but with those responsible. "His childhood was rough", "He was on medication". Please.

No kidding. I love how his parents say "We never saw any sigs of depression". Just like the Columbine kids' parents..."Yeah we didn't have any warning that this would happen, I mean what's the big deal if your kid and his friend are making bombs in the garage?"

Give it time, there will be more reports that point out that there were plenty of warning signs. I mean the kid obviously wanted attention, since he told a friend to watch the news (not the first time he did that). Come on.

Oh, and the fact that his parents think he was well adjusted, but then the police and FBI find out that he had no real friends and was a loner.

Looks like another case of an f'ed up kid, with self absorbed parents, and in the end it's the GA community that will suffer.

WTH

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20020110/D7GUSKC00.html LOL!

Parents of Teen Pilot Tried Suicide

01/10/2002 12:07 PM EST

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - The parents of a 15-year-old pilot who crashed a small plane into a Tampa skyscraper had attempted suicide as teen-agers, according to newspaper reports at the time.

Charles Bishop's mother, Julia, and father, Charles Bishara, entered into a suicide pact after they were denied a marriage license because they lacked the proper paperwork, the Malden (Mass.) Evening News reported in 1984.

"Basically it was a Romeo-and-Juliet type of suicide pact," Julia Bishop's attorney, Pam Campbell, told the St. Petersburg Times for Thursday's editions. "They were both very depressed. ... And they were very young."

Their son died Saturday when he crashed a stolen Cessna into Tampa's Bank of America building. Investigators said he had a suicide note expressing support for Osama bin Laden and the Sept. 11 attacks.

Charles Bishop's mother, the former Julia Detore, tried to marry Bishara when she was 17 and he was 19, but the couple was denied a marriage license in Rhode Island because of the paperwork problem.

The couple stuffed rags into the tailpipe of Detore's car and tried to fill it with carbon monoxide to kill them both, according to the 1984 newspaper accounts. When that failed, they allegedly agreed Detore would stab Bishara with a butcher knife, and he would slash her wrists with the same knife, the newspaper said.

After Bishara was stabbed, he asked Detore to call an ambulance, according to the newspaper. Paramedics found him on a sofa bleeding heavily with a lacerated liver. Bishara denied that the pair had attempted suicide, though Detore insisted that was the case.

Detore was charged with assault with a dangerous weapon with intent to commit murder. She was ordered to undergo a 20-day evaluation at a state hospital in Waltham, Mass.

Bishara's sister Dawn said her brother refused to cooperate with prosecutors, and the charge against Detore was dropped. Campbell, Bishop's attorney, said she was told that the court file was sealed.

(AP) Workers have covered a gaping hole in the Bank of America Plaza building, seen Monday, Jan. 7, 2002...
Full Image

The couple married after their son was born in 1986 but divorced when he was a baby.

The boy's father had little if any contact with him, and his other family members had no idea why he crashed the plane, Campbell said.

"There was no warning. There was no thought he would ever commit suicide," said Campbell, who also represents Charles Bishop's grandmother. "This is an honor student with goals and aspirations."

Julia Bishop, who changed her name and her son's from Bishara, has declined interviews since Saturday. She told Pinellas County officials she changed her name because Bishara is an Arabic name and the United States was at war with Iraq at the time.

Police have not been able to contact Bishara.

The Times reported that Bishara's parents learned of their grandson's death through news reports.

"It's just a tragedy to find your grandson in this way," Robert Bishara said. "We lost someone we didn't even know."

Whatever happened to just plain CRAZY?

Perspective

I am sure there will be more news still, but, there you go. Now, we have perspective. This incident indeed appears to be an isolated incident. It is tempting to attach significance to it because the kid apparently has a Middle Eastern heritage, but it would be wrong to do so.

Would this have made national news if the kid stole his mother's car and backed it off a pier and into the ocean? Perhaps - because of it being unusual, but that would have been it.

My point is this incident should not trigger massive public and Congressional hysteria. Once again, it is an ISOLATED event. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, because, as pilots and flight instructors, we know so. Now, the public needs to come to the same realization before it puts our field off the deep end.

Latest resources

Back