Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here is what the head of the FAA really thinks of the profession...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nobody blamed the FOs. They don't have any other choice of an entry point into the 121 world. The blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the greedy pilots of the past who couldn't be bothered with "little airplanes."

It is easy to blame the new FOs, isn't it?

It's not their fault. The primary goal of every airline pilot is to advance his or her own career; not yours. If the path to the metaphorical left seat of the 747 is through the right seat of the RJ, so be it. Give the FO another path, that is better for the FO, and he or she will take it.

While I agree your statement, remember the planes are getting bigger and bigger! These regionals that are taking over all domestic flying are now 70-100 seats.
So where do you advance your career again? Everytime a Mainline Plane is parked it seems to be replaced with a Big Regional Plane! So that career advancement you wanted is slowly fading away.

Theres nothing wrong witih paying dues in small planes. The economics of operating those small planes on lucrative routes precludes them taking away lucrative careers.

The "I dont care what I fly or how much I get paid as long as I get a quick upgrade" attitude is a cancer.

It is easy to blame the new FOs, isn't it?

It's not their fault. The primary goal of every airline pilot is to advance his or her own career; not yours. If the path to the metaphorical left seat of the 747 is through the right seat of the RJ, so be it. Give the FO another path, that is better for the FO, and he or she will take it.

I'm glad somebody said this. Many mainline pilots came from the military and have no idea what life is like in a regional. They assume we are all bottom feeders taking away their jobs because we will work for less. Remember that every pilot has to start somewhere and NO pilot gets into the business to sit in the right seat of an RJ for the rest of his career. It's a means to an end that mainline pilots themselves created when they CHOSE not to fly RJs. Had scope never been given up, many regionals would not exist and many of us would be flying for majors and making better wages because the flying would still have to get done.

Lowly

You always hit the nail on the head. I hope those young F.O's over there are picking your brain about business, life, and aviation as much as I did back in the good old days.

A professional would accept criticism.. find the truth in it and make changes...

In addition, Babbits statements can be played to political advantage....

Nobody blamed the FOs. They don't have any other choice of an entry point into the 121 world. The blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the greedy pilots of the past who couldn't be bothered with "little airplanes."

Nope, it's the regional FO's fault. Just ask any mainline pilot :D

Oh, and it's ALPA's fault as well.....had to get that in there.

Lowly

You always hit the nail on the head. I hope those young F.O's over there are picking your brain about business, life, and aviation as much as I did back in the good old days.

Thanks for the kind words, RobCat. That is high praise from you, and it is appreciated.

These are strange times that we live in... I mean if NetJets is furloughing, not a single one of us is safe.

Latest resources

Back