Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here is an example of someone who gets it.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The letter has to be a farce, I can't believe ALPA put it out.

You're right! The only time alpo puts anything out is when management of an alpo carrier comes a calling for concessions, then alpo pulls it's pants down, bends over, and puts out big time!! Anything it takes to protect those senior captains jobs!!

You're right! The only time alpo puts anything out is when management of an alpo carrier comes a calling for concessions, then alpo pulls it's pants down, bends over, and puts out big time!! Anything it takes to protect those senior captains jobs!!

Here's a link to a small article about our picketing. Look at the comments section below that. Give the guy a call if you like.

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2008/07/21/daily46.html

And here is another to a story in the Wilmington News Journal:

http://www.wnewsj.com/main.asp?SectionID=49&SubSectionID=156&ArticleID=168026

The full story is in today's paper. Click on the electronic edition icon on the left side of the page.

http://www.wnewsj.com/

Last edited:
“… I have marketable enough skills to quickly recover. … But I know things in our breadbasket up in Ohio, those guys are going through a lot more than I am
—Tony Bordoli, quit UPS job in protest

Drops ID badge in protest

By GARY HUFFENBERGER
[email protected]

When employees conduct informational picketing, they hope to raise public awareness of their workplace problems and send a message to the employer. But a Thursday march involving about 50 ASTAR Air Cargo pilots outside UPS’s Atlanta headquarters reached different eyes: A UPS software engineer on lunch decided to join the protest and, after leaving the picket line, resigned on the spot when approached back at work by two security workers and two Human Resources staffers.

Tony Bordoli said by phone Friday he came upon the picketing while walking with a friend, and was touched when he saw a big sign on a vehicle that said the proposed UPS DHL deal could devastate 10,000 families. “It affected me and there was something I knew that I could do about it, so I did. And I took a stance against an unethical action by my company. It’s probably not going to change things. I know I’m one person but it may slow it down,” Bordoli mused.

Bordoli said his work was not related to the proposed contract, but that as a UPS software engineer in a financial office, he created programs that produced detailed analysis reports regarding which workers should have their hours cut. “I just felt I was really being used as a tool to devastate families and communities, and it was just simple. I mean, how could I not put the two together? I’m not going to be used as a tool to devastate families and communities anymore. I can’t conscientiously be a part of that,” said the 36-year-old Bordoli, who had worked at UPS for 10-plus years. “In a way, the picketing indirectly woke me up,” he feels.

He had been working on his current project for the past four months, said Bordoli, and had gotten to the “second plot point, if you will.” “It’s a big burden off mymind and off my back,” he said Friday concerning his decision to quit UPS. “Because I was feeling very conflicted with this particular project to begin with.”

On Thursday evening, after joining the ranks of the unemployed, Bordoli did some research on the DHL-UPS deal and about the picketing ASTAR pilots in an attempt “to get more educated in what exactly I had chosen to do,” he chuckled. “And that’s when I was reassured that I was making the right decision,” he said.

This was by no means premeditated. I just went by my conscience when I saw the picketing, and the information of the families being devastated. It dawned on me that what I was doing by my actions, you know by my involvement, I wasn’t that far from that, you understand.”

Bordoli said it may sound like a rash act and he admitted he did “get a little harshness this morning from my father.” “This time, I’ll pick a better company,” Bordoli said. “One that actually exercises proper social responsibility.” When he joined the picketing with the pilots, all in their pilots uniform, the picketers started asking him who he worked for? “I said UPS, and everyone, it was like a cheer moment,” he said.

Later he told Human Resources staff and security in the stairwell that he was tendering his resignation, and let fall his UPS identification badge to the floor in protest. “I wish the cause well, because I have a family. You know, my family won’t be devastated from this because in the Atlanta area, I have marketable enough skills to quickly recover. So, I’m not worried about myself in particular. But I know things in our breadbasket up in Ohio, those guys are going through a lot more than I am. I’m actually fortunate,” said Bordoli.

UPS spokesman Norman Black said Friday it is company policy not to publicly discuss individual personnel matters.

http://online.wnewsj.com/index1.php

Last edited:
“This time, I’ll pick a better company,” Bordoli said. “One that actually exercises proper social responsibility.”

Another misguided soul. Yo Tony... listen up pal... companies DO NOT exist to provide jobs. They exist to create wealth! The hundreds of thousands of UPS shareholders want a return on their invested dollar. They do not want UPS to be the world's soup kitchen! Apparently Tony skipped the lecture on capitalism.

BBB

Hvy,

OK... I give. What exactly does the anonymous poster suddenly "get"?

Let me guess. By association, now you're accusing UPS of unethical business practices, is that it?

Here's the brutal truth Hvy... YOU CHOSE POORLY. You sought and obtained employment from a company that was not well capitalized or managed. Now you're "shocked" your gamble didn't pay off. A bit disingenuous I'd say.

BBB

Hmm. I'd say rather than "I chose poorly" I'd say "you chose lucky". Both ABX and DHL were separate entities that had their own airlines here in the US prior to DPWN, with the implied job security. It was hardly a "gamble" at that time. Also at that time, UPS utilized many a charter airline, and not their own. Wasn't the deal to go for. Unluckily, the times have now changed. As it has at many other airlines no one ever thought would go away. I'd suggest, not quite so brutally, that you might want to get off your high horse. If this deal goes through, in 5 years or less, I'd say there will be a merger between DHL and UPS. I'll leave you to figure out how that would work. You can laugh now all you want. It makes no difference to me.

BBB, couldn't agree more.

UPS will make this deal happen to expand their business, as they have with many other companies. Sad to say, ABX and Astar are caught in the crosshairs this time.

The wheels were set in motion on this the second ABX and ASTAR got forced into the AMCI buisness. It was only a matter of time before UPS or FedEx swooped in and took over.

Ask the former pilots of ExpressOne, Ryan, Emery, Rhoades, Kitty Hawk, CAT, Express.net, etc.

It was bound to happen. ACMI can't compete. I imagine it's only a matter of time before BAX (The last remaining independent hub operation) feels the heat too.

My condolences to all involved.

Thank you that finally explains it all, we have all been wondering!

Hvy,

OK... I give. What exactly does the anonymous poster suddenly "get"?

Let me guess. By association, now you're accusing UPS of unethical business practices, is that it?

Here's the brutal truth Hvy... YOU CHOSE POORLY. You sought and obtained employment from a company that was not well capitalized or managed. Now you're "shocked" your gamble didn't pay off. A bit disingenuous I'd say.

BBB

BBB, if you do actually work for UPS it would not suprise me if you "chose" UPS like many friends that I know who could not get hired anywhere else 10 to 15 years ago. You make it sound like devine wisdom I say dumb luck! Two that I know of could not even pass an upgrade at a commuter we worked at. So please stop trying to sound like your pilots are better and smarter, I have flown with some of them!

BBB, if you do actually work for UPS it would not suprise me if you "chose" UPS like many friends that I know who could not get hired anywhere else 10 to 15 years ago. You make it sound like devine wisdom I say dumb luck! Two that I know of could not even pass an upgrade at a commuter we worked at.
Sounds like he's done OK for himself at UPS, flying the big iron for big money and all.

Maybe the problem was with your commuter's training dep't?

Latest resources

Back