Here is a tricky FAR question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MattP

Here is a question for anyone that is really into decoding the FARs. Can an authorized instructor legally allow a student pilot to fly a night solo XC?

61.87(m) tells us that student pilots are able to fly a solo night flight.

61.93 deals with solo-XC requirements, but does not specify whether or not night XCs are allowed.

After going to the FAA with this, I have gotten two different answers!- should we add a 'poll' to this thread?

Matt

I would say:

If you have given night instruction for the student, and signed the student off, then yes, they can do a night cross country solo.

No they can't...because no CFI in his/her right mind would ever allow it. I can see it now. Sure, Joe, let me give you the endorsements for solo x-c, night, Class B, complex, and HP. Have fun in the Baron. Watch out for those t-storms and the 25 kt crosswind. Would you like a spin endorsement too? Always good to practice.

I think that it is pretty clear from reading 61.87(m) that they can. If they weren't allowed, then the FARs would not tell you the requrements and limitations on solo flight at night. It would specify that xc flights aren't allowed if that was the intent.

...whether the CFI would want the student to or not is a different story, but the framework is definately in place.

Latest resources

Back