• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hendrick Moter King Air Crash 2004

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was a tragic accident which should not have occurred. I lost a life long friend, Joe Jackson, in that crash. Joe was a consumate helicopter pilot who survived Vietnam only to be killed in the back of a KingAir.

GV

h25b said:

h25b, where do you find detailed reports like this. On the NTSB accident queri page, you get a full report, but not with graphics and other detail.

When I read a report like this, I always try to put myself in their place to figure out under what conditions I would have done the same. On this one, I wonder what they were thinking when they crossed the OM at 4000, (well above 2600) and continued for 2 miles before starting down, leaving only 3 miles to get down? Why didn't they just tell ATC they need to make another turn in holding so they could cross OM at 2600? I always try to understand these things, so I won't go out and do the same thing. No one will ever know, but I wonder if they got distracted by something?

GoingHot said:
...where do you find detailed reports like this. On the NTSB accident queri page, you get a full report, but not with graphics and other detail.

That one, along with most other full accident reports, are avialable from a link on the NTSB home page. Go to www.ntsb.gov then click on "Accident Reports" under the Data and Information heading. That will bring you to their "Publications" page. From there, just go to the menu on the left and select "Most Recent" or "Older" from the Aviation section.

flx757 said:
That one, along with most other full accident reports, are avialable from a link on the NTSB home page. Go to www.ntsb.gov then click on "Accident Reports" under the Data and Information heading. That will bring you to their "Publications" page. From there, just go to the menu on the left and select "Most Recent" or "Older" from the Aviation section.

Thanks flx757. I've been missing out on a lot. I thought they only did that level of detail when a Kennedy is on board.

GoingHot said:
what they were thinking when they crossed the OM at 4000, (well above 2600) and continued for 2 miles before starting down, leaving only 3 miles to get down? Why didn't they just tell ATC they need to make another turn in holding so they could cross OM at 2600?

Because they likely didn't know where they were. It's quite likely they had the PF HSI on GPS mode, and were looking at dme distances from a different fix. Remember, they had an outdated database card and a non-certified GPS receiver. So who knows what was actually programmed in. We'll never know since they didn't have a CVR and we can't hear the approach brief.

But if you look at their profile descent, it's quite obvious they likely thought they were further ought from the MAP then they actually were, as there was absolutely no urgency to get down as it was a stablized descent.

Which is why they were flying with an expired GPS data base plugged inside a non-certified GPS receiver?
According to what I was told by those who are/were at Hendrick, expired/improper equipment along with the fact that the accident Captain routinely used it as his ONLY source of information in flight, without cross-checking other instruments, is why the crash occured. Complacency, bad decision-making, and generally poor airmanship. All respect to the deceased, but it is what it is. No other way to say it, unfortunately.

ultrarunner said:
Because they likely didn't know where they were. It's quite likely they had the PF HSI on GPS mode, and were looking at dme distances from a different fix. Remember, they had an outdated database card and a non-certified GPS receiver.
But if you look at their profile descent, it's quite obvious they likely thought they were further ought from the MAP then they actually were, as there was absolutely no urgency to get down as it was a stablized descent.

That makes sense, but I was thinking maybe they had an ADF tuned to the LOM as well. I know it's old school, and ADFs are going away but when available, I still like to see that ADF needle reverse when passing the LOM.

This accident bothered me deeply. I flew for a NASCAR operator back in 99. There were more cowboy pilots in King Airs than terrorist in Iraq. I’ve kept silent for a long time about the environment down in JQF.

Well try this one on for size:

The illustrious Chief Pilot who had his mug all over the cover of Pro Pilot a few months back is a prime example of NASCAR flight departments. He forged his log book from the first day he took a flight lesson. Told me so himself, face to face…

The people who own these planes care about $$ and fast cars, not airplanes and the pilots who fly them.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back