Help!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hansel,

Time to have the heart to heart with your wife and tell her how you feel.

You write you want to fly for a living, but you don't mention what that means. Do you want to be an airline pilot, corporate pilot, charter pilot, cargo pilot, flight instructor, etc.?

What are your wife's concerns? If it is that you'd be away from home overnight, compromise and become a cargo pilot, professional flight instructor, pipeline patrol pilot, sheriff's pilot, etc. Choose something that is a day gig. Is she concerned that you won't make as much money? Then compromise, set a date by whcih you will make the career cahnge, but first, plan on saving an agreed-upon amount of money from your current salary. Could be $40,000, could be $100,000. The day you hit that amount, you quit your banker job and use that money to help you through. Tell her she has to get a job as well. You work side jobs while flying.

You must find out her true concerns and compromise on a solution where it will work for everyone. Above, all, you must tell her your feelings IMMEDIATELY. If this is getting so bad that you are mentioning suicide, you need start the communications now. You have already let this slide too long. Once she knows how serious this is to you, if she loves you, she will find a way to put her selfish desires aside and think first of you and your needs.

Ok, back to the Dr. Phil show...

Hansel wrote: "The thing that scares me is I remember a fellow on this board who commited suicide for not being able to fly, and I'm feelingthe same way."

I missed the suicide inference when I made my smarta$$ed remark. I'm still old school BUT even considering that you might be feeling suicidal is extremely serious. GET SOME HELP NOW! Tell your wife, tell your pastor, tell your doctor, tell someone immediately. You are in no position to self-evaluate and resolve this on your own. When you consider suicide a viable option, even if only remotely, you are beyond rational thought and are in need of professional medical and/or spiritual guidance.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back