• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Help with WINE??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My wife and I enjoy Mascato DiAsti (not sure how to describe it, I'm no expert but I think it would be considered a sparkling white wine.)

Seriously speaking, I need a recommendation on two bottles of wine that will need to be served at room temperature. The girlfriend and I will be at Ravinia and these selections should go well with haute cusine picnic fare <grin>. She likes white, I prefer red. We both seem to like wines from Chile and Down Under.

Thanks for your recommendations..

Try some German wines. In ascending order of sweetness: Reisling, Spatlese or Auslese. Look for any from the Saar-Mosel river areas and I can almost guarantee you'll find these to be what you're looking for. Room temp is OK with these wines, but slightly cool is better. They will go with anything.

There are also red varieties of these same wines. You will find them to be just what you'd expect: more full-bodied but just as sweet.

Have fun!!

Usually sweet white wine is served with desert, or sometimes cheeses, if that's what you want, Blue Nun is sweet and is very common anywhere in the USA.

Any white zinfadel would do for non-wine conniossuers, although if you're trying to impress-most haute cuisine people would go for something like Gewurztraminer (these are the names of the type of grapes, all white wines, first two are sweet ), Riesling or California Chardonnay-this one is not sweet, but you can find it anywhere. All are good before/durring lunch/dinner.

Champagnes are usually a hit with the ladies, Spumante is sweet as well as are Sec and Doux Champagnes.

Go to any upscale grocery store or liquor store, and they will probably have someone there that can recommend and discuss appropriate wines for any occassion.

Hey Illini-Congrats on getting married! When did you tie the knot?

Last edited:
A good glass of pinot grigio in my opinion is tops. Try Jermann, Marco Felluga, Livio Felluga, Schiopetto, Venica & Venica, Alois Lageder and Elena Walch. The best thing to do is experiment with the different producers until you find that one that you truly enjoy as you will find each to be different tasting. If you are ever in the Tampa area I suggest heading over to Burns Steakhouse, a wine list that is out of this world.

If you can get your hands on a Sonoma Coutrier Les Pierre or any Mayo Chard you can't go wrong. Chalk Hill Chard's are good too and available pretty much anywhere.

Sweet white... definately try a Muscat/Muscato... it is pear-tasting and is not *too* sweet like most of the dessert wines. That was the final desert at a place I enjoyed an awesome meal at in Firenze and will not forget it.
I really enjoy a nice Chardonnay myself, chilled of course.

My wife and I are in the process of moving... new place has a tiny bit (1/4 acre) of nice land suitable for grapes... hmmm, plant a small vineyard next year?... we'll see... that'd be really cool.

A1FlyBoy said:
Seriously speaking, I need a recommendation on two bottles of wine that will need to be served at room temperature. The girlfriend and I will be at Ravinia and these selections should go well with haute cusine picnic fare <grin>. She likes white, I prefer red. We both seem to like wines from Chile and Down Under.

Thanks for your recommendations..

Hello? You do not serve white wine at room temp. Rule of the thumb, chill the white and remove it 20 minutes before serving. Red? Chill it 20 minutes before serving. Suggest South African wine.

www.bdkingpress.com

Latest resources

Back