• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Help with a question??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't confuse "earlier than scheduled" with earlier than the time on your flight release. The regulation is very specific. There is one exception for supplementals that allows for the Captain to dispatch the flight under certain circumstances, but that pretty much only applies to the non-skeds.

Don't forget EAS routes. Not sure where you would find the textual content of the rule, but you cannot leave early at all unless every seat has an ass in it.

ptarmigan said:
Don't confuse "earlier than scheduled" with earlier than the time on your flight release. The regulation is very specific. There is one exception for supplementals that allows for the Captain to dispatch the flight under certain circumstances, but that pretty much only applies to the non-skeds.
He's not confusing it. At UPS we can block 15 mins prior to "release time" without an amendment (for 121 flight ops) ... been this way for years. My guess is it is indeed an ops specs directive. Perhaps each carrier petitions for a "waiver" to the regulation you are referring to?

BBB

Look at the time the dispatcher actually signs it. There are two times on your release. One is in the data block, where it shows the scheduled time. That is NOT the release time. The other is where the dispatchers signature block is. That is the "release time" under the regulation. Been a while since I looked at a UPS release, but I recall discussing this one night on the jumpseat pre 9/11 and seeing it then, but I do admit to not being fully awake at the time!

ptarmigan said:
Look at the time the dispatcher actually signs it. There are two times on your release. One is in the data block, where it shows the scheduled time. That is NOT the release time. The other is where the dispatchers signature block is. That is the "release time" under the regulation. Been a while since I looked at a UPS release, but I recall discussing this one night on the jumpseat pre 9/11 and seeing it then, but I do admit to not being fully awake at the time!

Straight from our FOM:

"A flight's release time is normally its scheduled departure time. A flight may depart up to 15 mins. earlier than its release time WITHOUT an ARTR."

Obviously you are mistaken ptarmigan. :smash:

BBB

Well, it wouldn't be the first time, but, sometimes airlines and POIs make mistakes also. As this particular issue is actually a regulation, and ops specs do not allow for exceptions to regulations (like the FOM, are supposed to only be more restrictive than the regs), I do wonder about this one. I would think someone from IPA might want to explore the issue further.

ptarmigan said:
I would think someone from IPA might want to explore the issue further.

Respectfully, I thunk you'd be thinki'n wrong! Most line slugs could absolutely care less if UPS is in compliance with Federal Aviation Regulations. In fact, we'd cheer with joy if UPS was shutdown, if only temporarily! We're more concerned with which pub has the coldest/cheapest beer on layover. We leave those pesky details to our overpaid secretaries ... er, I mean management pilots. Personally, I can't wait to shut this operation down legally via a strike ... gee, we've only been "negotiating" for 4 years now!

BBB

Big Beer Belly said:
! Most line slugs could absolutely care less if UPS is in compliance with Federal Aviation Regulations.

Wow, sounds like a professional to me!

In fact, we'd cheer with joy if UPS was shutdown, if only temporarily!
How much is your hourly rate then??
We're more concerned with which pub has the coldest/cheapest beer on layover. We leave those pesky details to our overpaid secretaries ... er, I mean management pilots. Personally, I can't wait to shut this operation down legally via a strike ... gee, we've only been "negotiating" for 4 years now!

What would you do then. Pick strawberries??

Actually, your IPA safety committee does a very good job on this kind of thing. Remember, although a pilot's union is political and deals with contract negotiations, there is another side that is not political and deals with safety and regulatory issues, such as this one.

Big Beer Belly said:
Respectfully, I thunk you'd be thinki'n wrong! Most line slugs could absolutely care less if UPS is in compliance with Federal Aviation Regulations. In fact, we'd cheer with joy if UPS was shutdown, if only temporarily! We're more concerned with which pub has the coldest/cheapest beer on layover. We leave those pesky details to our overpaid secretaries ... er, I mean management pilots. Personally, I can't wait to shut this operation down legally via a strike ... gee, we've only been "negotiating" for 4 years now!

BBB

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back