Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BaronPIC

Hi All,

I basically wanted to know how/what I should prepare myself in the coming months to be a hiring candidate at a regional. I'm currently a CFI with 750TT/40ME. My goal is 1000TT and 100ME by the end of the summer. I'd like to pick up my CFI/MEI and ATP written in the near future, but money is of course tight. Are both worth getting soon?

So, here are my questions:

1.) Are the 1000TT/100ME enough for an interview? I checked out airlineinterviews.com for specific gouges. Saw a couple at CHQ and Mesa with those kinds of hours....I know 2 Mesa guys and a CHQ guy- all said 1000/100 is what I need minimally.

2.) Are the CFII/MEI a big plus on a resume or not? I'd like to earn them at some point, but are they a necessity in your opinion. Should I splurge and pick them up? I know the training can't hurt.

3.) How big of a help/plus is having the ATP written done? I've got the Gleim book and am reviewing it. Just need to buckle down and do it. I don't feel like ponying up $400 for ATP's course.

Discuss.....

I am trying to set goals to meet in the next few months. And advice passed along will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Cheers-
Baron

I'll give you the quick and dirty from me:

I've been sitting at just under 1000 Total, 150 multi for a rather long spell here. I haven't gotten any calls.

No LoRs (but could have them at a few regionals "if I were closer to ATP times"), and not much recent flying exerience (only 20 hours in the past 12 months).

We'll see, but that's what I've seen. Don't kow about the other stuff, but I've got the CFII and MEI (plus the A&P). haven't taken the ATP written yet though.

Dan

Dan CFI/CFII said:
and not much recent flying exerience (only 20 hours in the past 12 months).

Well right there is your problem. You wouldn't get hired if we were in the middle of a hiring boom, IMO. Go fly for free or something, show them that you WANT to fly, by actually flying something.

Any tips on where to fly for free?

(without the accusation of "whoring" yourself out and lowering bars, etc...)

Baron,

I'm gonna offer you my two cents, but with the disclaimer that I'm still a year away from graduating and sit currently around 560/20.

I know some people who have gotten hired on at CHQ recently with slightly over 1000/100, but they came from bridge programs. I hear CHQ is hiring like gangbusters this year, so put your stuff in with them as soon as you get 1000 TT and update with Rosa every 3-4 months. It can't hurt. From the people I know who have gotten hired on just about everywhere (Eagle, Skyway, CHQ, Mesa, Corpex, Pinnacle, Windy City, etc), 1000/100 is near the bare minimum but exceptions are always made. Your mileage may vary.

I too am kicking around getting my MEI, and as soon as I get the cash for it, I will. IMHO, the extra multi PIC is the largest benefit and it opens the door for you to log more multi-PIC as dual given once you get your 5 PIC in type. I don't know if some airlines want to see a CFI-AIM on the resume or not, but I'd guess it'd put you above someone equally qualified without it.

About the ATP written...I think many airlines like to see this taken and passed, but I doubt it'd be a show-stopper if you didn't have it. Once you take it you have two years to get hired on with a 121 carrier. If you are flying quite a bit and are confident you will be hired within 24 months, by all means take it! Here at Purdue, we have to take it in the fall of our senior semester, and most people I know use the Gleim ATP to study for it. Only one person has ever gotten a 100% on it :) A guy I used to work with in LEX did his ATP written at ALLATPS in BWG and he spoke very highly of it.

However you go about doing it, I wish you the best of luck in getting where you want to be. See you on the line in a couple years....

Took me 6 months to get a call at CHQ with 2500TT/1300ME. However, it looks like we need pilots this year....Good Luck.

Latest resources

Back