Help!! Officer in the guard question???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

guidoverduci

Okay- here's my story.... I recently enisted into the ANG, I just finished BMT and I'm in my 3rd week at tech school. I have one semester left at college..... my question is when I finish that last semester of school, how do I go about becoming an officer? The reason I joined the ANG was to become a pilot, and I wanted to become familiar with the military, base, and plane I wanted to fly. I chose to be a mechanic, but I'm not sure how I become an officer as soon as I finish college. I plan on sending out UPT packets as soon as I have my degree, but I wanted to become an officer first. Is this possible? Any advice is appreciated.

Easy.. Get a pilot slot!

Dude,

You can apply for UPT before you've completed college. Most units will accept applications from people in their last semester of school, some will even look at you if you've got two left. This is because there is normally at least a one year wait between when you get hired and when you go to AMS.

I went to officer school 6 weeks after I graduated from college, because I was hired with a semester of school left.

Flaco

I believe it's also possible to go AFROTC while you're in the guard to become an officer and apply to hiring units just like us civvie pukes do. Flaco is right... you can apply before you have your degree in hand. One of my best flight students ever did that and got an F-16 slot. I'm sure he's kickin' a$$ at Laughlin right now.

Lata!
Skyward80

thanks guys- I got it now. Do some people go to AMS then wait a year for flight school, or do they wait a year to go to AMS then immediately to flight school? Also- do I wait to hear that my unit is hiring pilots before I turn in a packet or do I just give it to them? I know it's tough to do, but I want to fly for the unit I enilisted in. thanks again

The guy I knew won his unit's sponsorship for the guard board after he and one or two other guys were interviewed. After his packet was approved, he went to AMS, returned for IFT (not applicable if you have at least a PPL), and then went to UPT. The time between AMS and UPT was about 2 - 2.5 months.

Lata!
Skyward80

cool- any ideas on when I should turn my packet in? I haven't been to my base in awhile, I'm still in tech school- I was just wondering if I have to wait for them to announce that they are hiring

Hunt down some people who are in the know. Some places will only accept applications during a certain window of time. Other places might do something different. Best thing to do is a little remote footwork.

Lata!
Skyward80

On a side note to this.... If I decided to not be a pilot... after getting my college degree and working as an enlisted maintenance crew member, how would I go about becoming an officer in the guard? What kind of jobs could I get?

other options...

Guido,

1. One other pilot option you might consider is applying the OTS, AF Officer Training School. Since you're within a year of graduation, you could start the application now.

This would get you to OTS, then on to AF Pilot Training. This is Active Duty Air Force, so, of course, you'd find out what airplane you get based on a combination of what you want, what's available, and how you did at pilot training.

www.airforce.com

contact us, advisor locator, and give them a call.

2. If pilot doesn't work out, and you're looking to be an Maintenance Officer, you probably could apply to a Guard/Reserve Unit for that. It would help your cause if you're background was in maintenance while enlisted, but probably not mandatory. Ob

PM if you need more info, or search, because there is alot posted about OTS and becoming a pilot.

Latest resources

Back