Help! Multi Comm Checkride Coming Up!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PHXAviator

Any last minute advice for someone about to take his multi commercial checkride?

I'm doing my multi comm BEFORE my single comm, so I'm aware that there will be more involved.

Incidentally, I'm taking my checkride with John Walkup in Chandler, AZ. Anyone familiar with him? Tips?

Nervous in PHX,
PHXAviator

I'd did my Multi comm first too.

Only one kind on last minute advice to give and is to avoid the

3 D's

Don't do anything

Dumb
Different
or
Dangerous

and you will pass!

1) If you exceed a particular value, like an altitude or angle of bank, then correct it ASAP, smoothly and professionally. No need to draw attention to it. It may have gone unnoticed.

2) Know the material for the oral. I recommend the ASA Oral Exam Guides, and have a friend quiz you, preferably a friend who has greater knowledge and experience. Give answers calmly, and succinctly. Don't elaborate.

3) During simulated (power reduction) or "real" (mixture or fuel shutoff, at 3000 agl and above) engine failures, call out each step of the "multi mantra" mixture, props, throttle....you know it by now, so that the examiner knows that you are not skipping any of the steps.

4) Use the checklists. Keep your head outside. Know your aircraft weight and balance, and performance for the day's conditions: T/O, Landing, Accelerate/Stop, Accelerate/Go distances.

5) Be mentally prepared to lose an engine at 50% of Vmc speed on the takeoff roll, and immediately pull the good engine and keep the plane under control as you roll to a stop.

6) Take a positive approach: you're going to enjoy an opportunity to show the examiner how well you can fly.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Checkitis - or not

Do everything the way your instructor taught you and you'll be fine. As Timebuilder said, correct deviations from PTS tolerances promptly and smoothly. And don't make a big deal of it to the examiner.

Know your aircraft's systems and performance cold. Know Vmc cold. Your instructor should have drilled you thoroughly on these things. Be able to give complete but to-the-point answers. Know your Commercial Pilot limitations in Parts 61 and 91, in particular the circumstances under which a commercial pilot may accept compensation.

Really, the PTS is both the study guide and the test. Review it and know the answers and/or procedures for each area of operation. Answer only what the examiner asks. Don't volunteer information and don't run off the mouth. You may rival Kelly Johnson in terms of aeronautical knowledge, but do not let on to the examiner you are a know-it-all. You're not. Talk too much and you'll dig a grave for yourself.

Lots of luck with your practical.

This one wasn't to bad for me, and I did the Comm MEL first, before the SEL. Brief, 45 minute oral. Hopped in the airplane, examiner moaned about my positioning of the aircraft for the runup. Tookoff, standard low speed abort, used remaining runway for departure, another failure at 500 feet or so. Did the cross country navigation for all of ten minutes, and examiner moaned about my leg timing. Diversion to a satellite airport, all engines landing and departure. Maneuvers, stalls, etc. Hood goes on and wout of the blue cleared to xyz VOR, and cleared for the approach. Sorted myself out, halfway through approach examiner brought a throttle all the way to idle and landed. Had fun, and passed.

The best advice I ever got concerning checkrides was this acronym "KISS" -keep it simple stupid! Remeber that you are on the wittness stand and testifying against yourself. Take bobbysamd's advice and voluntier nothing, keep your answers short and simple. If the DE wants any more in depth information or clarification believe me he/she will ask for it.

Checkrides are mostly a mental game, if you are prepared don't sweat it and good luck!

one more helpful hint

Like yourself, I also did my Commercial multi before my commercial single, but I also did my instrument rating in a Seminole and didn't have to do any approaches on my Commercial multi checkride. Anyways, one thing my instructor taught me was, ALWAYS EXPECT AN ENGINE FAILURE when doing a checkride in a twin. When I was taking off, I was saying to myself....."there's going to be an engine failure......there's going to be an engine failure....".............and sure enough, about 500agl
the examiner pulled the engine on me......and boom, I was ready.
I would recommend doing this during crictical phases of flight. If you really do say this to yourself and are ALWAYS expecting a failure, you won't be surprised when the DE pulls your engine.

Anyways......that seemed to help me during all my multiengine checkrides.

Good luck on your checkride. Let us know how you did and what the checkride consisted of, after you pass!

Basically everyone hit on the key points, and I can't emphasize enough to always be ready for an engine failure. Don't assume that just because you're in a manuever that you're safe - my DE shut off the fuel to the inside engine during my steep turns. Everything is game (well, you're probably pretty safe right before the stall breaks during a stall series!).

Good luck! Let us all know how it went.

ME ride

Ditto. Let us know. I may be out of the game but I still like to hear about checkrides.

I used to fail the inside engine on my students during steep turns. As the other said, expect an engine failure.

Lots of luck with your ride.

I'll add my advise.

When there is a "failure" of any kind, you follow with deliberate and hopefully the correct actions. No wishy washy second guessing, if your training was thourough you won't have any problems.

You just relax, calm down, and address each task as they come before you.

If you act cool at everything the examiner throws at you, it will make your job that much easier, treat it as just another flight.

Unless the airplane is on fire, take the time to sort things out, do the right thing, don't get the rushed feeling, keep your witts about you and execute the correct procedure.

Like the others have said, act like that engine is always going to fail, I still use that premis even today flying for my airline.

Good luck.
LR25

Latest resources

Back