Help going to Belize

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gorilla said:
Ahh, my stupid mistake, I thought you were jumpseating for fun or something.

Belize is generally easy, but the weather this time of year in the Yuc is pretty bad. Watch out for low vis during rainshowers. Other than that its HOU center, then Merida, then Belize approach. BZE is non-radar, but the controllers are very good. Have fun.

you forgot cenamer center, centro america radio.

comander said:
you forgot cenamer center, centro america radio.

But I did not, Senor. :D At least for high-altitude IFR flights from DFW/LUV (He did say Dallas), Merida hangs on to you until 21,000' in the descent, then hands you off directly to BZE approach close to PENSO intersection. From there, it's altitude/DME reports to BZE approach. When you see the shrimp Farms, a huge aquaculture thing on the coast North of Belize City, the airport is SW of the shrimp farms for a few miles and is very easy to spot. They'll always clear you for a VOR/DME approach, but once you have the field in sight, ask for and get the visual and they'll be happy.

The field swarms with Cessna Caravans who operate very low and loose, shuttling people out to the barrier islands. I've seen them operate visualy while we are holding and trying to get the necessary 2KM vis for a VOR approach.

Skipping Cenamer may just be for certain filed flight plans, but I've never talked to Cenamer in 100+ trips to BZE. I may be wrong though. Either way, it's easy. The best rum: the local rotgut, called "1 Barrel". It's yummy.

Oh yeah, babes abound. The women are HOT. <echo, echo>

I forgot to mention one thing. If you come in via the jet route from PENSO, PIKRO, then BZE, most FMC's will NOT draw an alignment holding pattern over the VOR for the outbound teardrop. In other words, you arrive not correctly aligned for the outbound leg, and are required to do the alignment. Don't skip the alignment turn prior to the outbound leg UNLESS you ask for and recieve permission from BZE. BZE is on a minor warpath and will violate you if you skip it without permission, as it completely destroys their carefully constructed spacing for inbound traffic. Like I said, get a visual and take a tour of the jungle below on a big, sweeping left-hand pattern. Watch out for HUGE birds that like to hang out at 1600' pattern altitude.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back