• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Helo Training question with a Twist

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slide33 said it was for medical reasons, not for performance. I worked with recruiting a long time ago (early 90's) but I am fairly certain we were unable to put at least two different Air Force UPT failures into Army or Navy flight school.

I will try to do some research and find the exact regulation. It could have been rescinded for all I know but it is something that you will want to verify with your recruiter before you start the process.

I was able to find the Army reg from 611-110. Since the reg is still in place I would strongly recommend first applying for the exception. Don't go through the whole process of testing, boards, and physicals only to find out they are not granting exceptions on the upcoming board.

The number of exceptions or waivers granted usually depends on the needs of the service or the number of qualified applicants. Once the quota for applicants is filled the board will often stop accepting waivers even though an applicant is otherwise qualified.

People I know that have been accepted for another military flight program were usually RIF'ed or Banked by the Air Force in the mid 90's, then were released from their commitment. As I previously mentioned the two UPT failures I knew of that were for performance were not allowed to enter Army Flight Training.

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r611_110.pdf

1-5
e.​
Elimination from a previous course of military–sponsored flight instruction normally precludes entry or reentry
into Army aviation flight training. The Headquarters, Department of the Army (HQDA) (DAPC–OPA–CV) will

consider requests for exception on a case–by–case basis.

I have to say as a T-1 instructor for five years, it was almost impossible to wash someone out. The only folks I ever saw it happen to just didn't have the skills required to be successful. Continuity was a huge concern especially for someone having issues like yourself.

That being said, I flew with numerous pilots who after their major weapon system flying went to PIT to become instructors in the T-37. One I consider a good friend had horrible flight sickness that really lasted a good while while training. She eventually got over it, and went on to become an instructor.

Flying a T-37 is a very different environment, from G's, lack of good air conditioning, and a lack of pressurization. Even experienced aviators have issue's.

I remember hugging the toilet after my first cross country. My father came in to check on me and said "so you want to be a top gun???"

I eventually got over it. If I go a good length of time not in the environment, I still can get the spins a little.

My point is, if you want to fly for a living, keep at it and fight thru the sickness. Go to the playground and spin yourself silly to build up a resistance to it.

Don't stop working towards your dream if this is truly what you want...

An upper classman in my ROTC unit washed out of UPT. I heard that he went to the ARMY and got picked up for a pilot slot. As someone said before, it's all about supply and demand and the Army seems to need helo pilots. I'd go for it. Don't give up even if they say no.

I really hope your right about the Army needing Helo pilots!! I'm almost there and every time I see a youtube vid. I get that much more excited..Well that and no possibility of getting furloughed for atleast the next 8 years:laugh:

I really hope your right about the Army needing Helo pilots!! I'm almost there and every time I see a youtube vid. I get that much more excited..Well that and no possibility of getting furloughed for atleast the next 8 years:laugh:

Have you seen this National Guard commercial they play at movie theatres?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbfPj00pTNY

The music reminds of of those old Marine commercials where the guy is climbing a mountain to kill a cartoon dragon with a sword. This commerical is way better because it shows what the National Guard actually does, in sort of a Michael Bay stylized way, but you still get the point.

BTW here is the commercial from the 80's that got me to join the Marines :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki32TxKNga4

I don't about the Army, but I was a former Navy Aviation Recruiter. I know that physiological disqualification from any military flight-training program was an automatic disqualification from applying for Navy/USMC/USCG flt training both pilot and NFO. BTW I did OK airsickness wise as a pilot, but sitting sideways at the Nav station in the back of the P-3 at low altitude, I was airsick a lot

Thank you all for the words. If anyone has a friend that went army after washing out of upt...please PM me. It would be so appreciated. I know this will work. I just have hold on.

Depends on how one handles airsickness.
I know a handful of guys who made it through UPT without completely getting over airsickness. I think one of them is even flying Vipers. As long as it did not impact flying, it was okay (ie. a quick puke and back to business, if you know what I mean).
I had a student who puked on every sortie AND he could not stay focused because of airsickness. He ended up washing out.

Latest resources

Back