• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Hey, gang,
I'm ordering a new helmet (HGU55) and I've arranged an ANR headset install on it, but I have a question for anyone who can answer. Does anyone have experience with a CEP (Comm. & Ear Protection) system? It looks like it's nearly identical to the Clarity Aloft headset that I use at work, with comply ear tips and the in-ear 'speakers', but is it better in a helmet than ANR?

I prefer the Clarity Aloft headset to the bose or other ANR headsets for a variety of reasons. My main concern is how the ANR will perform in a noisy cockpit like a T-28 or T-6. I used a Bose once in the T-6 and it was laughable. It couldn't keep up. But, how easy is the CEP system to insert in to your ears while holding on to your helmet? That's my main concern with CEP.

So, in summary: Does anyone have experience with CEP in a helmet? Is it easy to put on/take off (of your head). And does anyone have experience with ANR in really high-noise cockpits? Help me make the right choice!

Thanks...

[edit] I just learned that the CEP system is designed in such a way that you stick the 'earplugs' in your head, put the helmet on like normal, and then plug the CEP system in to the side of the helmet. That changes things for me a bit. Now I'm much more interested in CEP.

Last edited:
I fly with CEP's as a helicopter crewman in the USAF. The trick is to make sure you put them in right or they will HURT!! The little "U" at the bottom of your ear is where you want the wire to come out. If it rest on anywhere else on your ear, the ear cups will push against it and will start to hurt...little hot spot. They are nice in a high noise environment.

Steps:

Put the comfortably in your ears with the wire nestled in the little "u" at the bottom of you ear.

Pull the helmet out a little bit then put it on gently. If the CEP's move, move them back into place with your helmet on by pulling the side of the helmet out. You want them comfortable.

Once the helmet is on, find a good place to tuck the excess wire. I just use a piece of velcro. The loop end on the helmet and the hook end free. Take the excess wire from the CEP's and put it on top of the loop end of the velcro and put the hook end on top. This prevents the wire from rubbing your neck and getting caught in shoulder harnesses, vest, ect.

To take them off, reverse the process and stow them right away.

Change out the foam part of the CEP's every so often or they build up sweat/wax and will slide around your ear. Also, be careful with them, they are fragile.

Thanks for the post. I use the exact same ear tips and transducers on my Clarity headset and love them. They sound great and are comfortable for my ears. And the whole deal only weighs a couple of ounces. the concept of in-ear headsets is proven as far as I'm concerned, I was just curious as to how they work with helmets and all that I'm reading indicates that it's a better option than ANR (in helmets, at least).

Understanding that the CEP plugs in to the helmet after you've put them in was the game changer for me. I think I'm sold.

Between a parachute, harness, and helmet wires I find that there's a lot going on in the cockpit. Do you think that the extra little wires from the CEP are an acceptable addition?

Thanks!

If you manage the extra wire, no issues. I am moving around the back of a helicopter alot..and no worries. Just keep the wires managed and fly!!

Latest resources

Back