Helios Airlines crash/website

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tired_pilot

If you have some time to kill and want some good reading material check out Helios Airways website, there press releases concerning their crash. You'd never see a US airline post so much information on their website. Regarding police raiding there corporate office, text messages from passengers and YES, they have leased another plane so they wont have to cut flights. Unbeleiveable...

http://www.flyhelios.com/

tired_pilot said:
If you have some time to kill and want some good reading material check out Helios Airways website, there press releases concerning their crash. You'd never see a US airline post so much information on their website. Regarding police raiding there corporate office, text messages from passengers and YES, they have leased another plane so they wont have to cut flights. Unbeleiveable...

http://www.flyhelios.com/

Unbelievable...."i" before "e" except after "c", if that will help ya.

I think that web site is great....much better than TWA setting up an alter on the beach on Long Island so people could come and weep and wail, and keep the 800 accident in the spot light for 10 years, jeez!

~DC

Yes, believe it or not folks, there are other countries in the world besides the good 'ol US of and most do things a little differently and sometimes, even better than we do. Take it from someone who knows........;)

Donsa320 said:
Unbelievable...."i" before "e" except after "c", if that will help ya.

I think that web site is great....much better than TWA setting up an alter on the beach on Long Island so people could come and weep and wail, and keep the 800 accident in the spot light for 10 years, jeez!

~DC
Take it from me, you should never make a spelling error when correcting a spelling error! :)

alter : to make different without changing into something else

altar : a usually raised structure or place on which sacrifices are offered or incense is burned in worship

Oh, and there's more to the "i" before "e" thing, anyhow. It's actually, "Use i before e except after c or when sounded like a as in neighbor or weigh; and except seize and seizure and also leisure, weird, height, and either, forfeit, and neither."

:)

TonyC said:
Take it from me, you should never make a spelling error when correcting a spelling error! :)

alter : to make different without changing into something else

altar : a usually raised structure or place on which sacrifices are offered or incense is burned in worship

Oh, and there's more to the "i" before "e" thing, anyhow. It's actually, "Use i before e except after c or when sounded like a as in neighbor or weigh; and except seize and seizure and also leisure, weird, height, and either, forfeit, and neither."

:)

Yep, I played with that word on "word" and I just had a brain block and could not clear it. Thanks for that. And I knew the "i" rule was more complex but after several years of reading posts here, my own spelling is beginning to suffer. Thanks for expanding that anyway. Notice I say "anyway" as opposed to the more frequently seen "anyways". <grin>

1. Qualifications of the pilots.

The pilots who operated the Boeing 737-300 were both highly experienced and held valid Air Transport Pilot licenses recognised by the Cyprus Department of Civil Aviation, which is a member of the European Joint Airworthiness Authorities (JAA). As part of the normal procedures followed by every airline which operates under JAA standards, Helios Airways pilots regularly undergo recurrent training and proficiency checks, as well as regular medical examinations to ensure their fitness to operate large transport aircraft.

The Captain of flight ZU522, Capt Hans Jurgen Merten, had operated more than 17,500 flying hours, including 12,500 hours as pilot-in-command on jet aircraft, of which more than 8,000 hours were on Boeing 737 variants. Capt Merten, who was a German citizen, held an Air Transport Pilots' Licence (ATPL) issued by the German Civil Aviation Authority (LBA), which was valid until 14 April 2006.

The First Officer, Pampos Charalambous, who was from Cyprus, had amassed more than 7,500 flying hours, including 3,700 hours on the Boeing 737. Mr Charalambous held a valid ATPL issued by the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and had flown with Helios Airways since May 2000.

All pilots employed by Helios Airways must hold an Air Transport Pilots' License issued by a JAA member state, and must have both a valid type rating (license to fly a specific aircraft type) and a valid aviation medical certificate. Pilots joining Helios Airways are required to undergo a company Operators' Proficiency Check (OPC), which is mandated by the JAA, and may also take a Licence Proficiency Check (LPC), which is an instrument flying check performed in a simulator.

Pilots are also required by the JAA and by Helios Airways to take an intensive company-specific training course in order to acquire familiarity with company manuals and procedures. This includes training on emergency procedures, safety equipment and crew resource management (CRM)

Latest resources

Back