Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BSeals71

Hey,

Just a few questions if you guys don’t mind.
I fly a CRJ for a regional airline and really want to learn how to fly helicopters.

1. If I get my private helicopter rating will I need to take the written test for the checkride?

2. How does this work if I want to get instrument rated as well?

3. How much $ should I save up? (on average)

Thanks guys,

-BSeals71

No writtens required for helicopter add-on.
15 hours instrument training in a helicopter by a helicopter CFII.
Big money.

nosehair said:
No writtens required for helicopter add-on.
15 hours instrument training in a helicopter by a helicopter CFII.
Big money.
That's correct. I think last time I looked for the add on it would be arround 10g.
The great thing is since you're already a pilot, most of the regs don't apply to you. For instance, as soon as you're cleared for a solo, you can go anywhere you want because you're already rated as a private pilot, just not for the category and class that you're flying, but that's why you have the endorsement. That's why you don't have to do any written exams.
From what I've heard, don't think it will be like you can just do the minimums. You're basically learning for fly again.

Thanks

Hey guys
“Thanks” for the heads up.
Yea… I’m expecting to go into it from the very begin
and buy a good chunk of block time.
Take care.

Add on

I added a private rotorcraft-helicopter to my fixed wing ATP about 3 years ago. The minimum time for the private is 30 hours if memory serves and no written test required. 50 total hours for the commercial add on. I was flying an S-300CB at $215/hr * 30 hours= $6450. I was lucky since I was able to use VA benefits to only pay 40% of that total. It is a great way to experience a different way of flying. Just curious, what part of the country are you doing the flying and how much do they charge per hour?
-Stepclimb

Last edited:
Stepclimb said:
I added a private rotorcraft-helicopter to my fixed wing ATP about 3 years ago. The minimum time for the private is 30 hours if memory serves and no written test required. 50 total hours for the commercial add on. I was flying an S-300CB at $215/hr * 30 hours= $6450. I was lucky since I was able to use VA benefits to only pay 40% of that total. It is a great way to experience a different way of flying. Just curious, what part of the country are you doing the flying and how much do they charge per hour?-Stepclimb

Hey Stepclimb,

Thanks for the info. Yea… I live in the Dayton, Ohio area.
That’s really nice that you where able to get 40 % off your flight training.
There’s a helicopter school Iron Eagle Aviation” at Middletown Airport (MWO)
Just south of here. Has anyone heard anything about them?
I’m really curious because I haven’t heard anything and considering doing my flight training with them. They charge $210 an hour for a block time (with a CFI) of 20 hour and use a Hughes/Schweizer 269B.

This is there web sight:
http://www.ironeagleaviation.com/rates.html

What good books would you recommend for flying helicopters?

-BSeals71

Iron Eagle Aviation also provides a variety of other helicopter services.

Tour Rides, we can fly up to 2 passengers at one time.
Aerial Surveys
Photo/Video Flights
Field Drying, we use the helicopter as a giant fan to quickly dry baseball, football, soccer fields, and parking lots. Think of the helicopter as a giant "air squeegee."

Field Drying service? That's interesting..

Latest resources

Back