helicopter training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TopGun-MAV

anyone know of accelerated schhols to do chopper training at? i want to be able to train and then get a job there as an instructor or something. i already have a lot of turbine and jet time under my belt so that will help me. what would the cost be to do chopper training?

mav

Flt 525...do a search and you'll quickly learn why. Then again, read the original post and it's self explainatory.

The poster's login is all about flame bait. He starts threads to see how far he can get people going.

He or she understands that, everyone else understands that, and posts accordingly.

Accelerated training in helicopters. No such thing. There are no shortcuts. Cost? Fifty to sixty five thousand dollars, if one wishes to instruct in Robinsons. As there are more jobs in robbies than any other training helicopter for instructing, getting there is about fifty grand or a little more. A thousand hours instructing, then off to Temsco in Alaska, or down to the gulf for a year or two of jetranger and A star. Then where ever you can find work.

Fixed wing experience and fixed wing turbine time is largely irrelevant. A ten thousand hour fixed wing pilot with 200 hours in a helicopter is a 200 hour helicopter pilot, not a 10,200 hour pilot.

You are right Avbug, but I would like to be dual rated to increase my marketability. I would love to work for someone who has both fixed and rotorwing, but for now it remains a dream...

avbug said:
For you, or for a serious poster?

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are!

And thanks, Avbug, for the serious thoughts in a later post. I've had this idea rattling around the brain for a while.

-Goose

P. S. Temsco looks kinda cool.

http://www.zianet.com/dohnal/downloads/helocrash.wmv

NTSB Identification: LAX87LA190 .
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 35617.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, April 26, 1987 in RUBIDOUX, CA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 2/17/1989
Aircraft: HUGHES 269B, registration: N101DN
Injuries: 1 Minor.

A HUGHES 269B WENT OUT OF CONTROL AND COLLIDED WITH THE GROUND DURING A T/O TO A HOVER. THE PILOT HAD PURCHASED THE AIRCRAFT RECENTLY AND WAS LEARNING TO FLY IT. HE WAS SCHEDULED FOR HIS FIRST FLIGHT LESSON ON THE DAY OF THE ACCIDENT. THE CFI REPORTED THAT HE HAD TOLD THE STUDENT PILOT TO WAIT FOR HIM AND NOT TO TOUCH ANYTHING. WHILE WAITING FOR THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR, THE NON ROTORCRAFT RATED STUDENT PILOT STARTED THE AIRCRAFT, RAN IT UP TO FULL RPM, AND THEN BEGAN TO INCREASE THE COLLECTIVE PITCH CONTROL. THE HELICOPTER CLIMBED VERTICALLY TO A HIGH HOVER AND THE PILOT LOST CONTROL. THE PILOT STATED THAT HE HAD NOT RELEASED THE CYCLIC FRICTION BEFORE BECOMING AIRBORNE. THE PILOT INDICATED HE HAD ABOUT500 HOURS OF FLIGHT TIME BUT DID NOT SPECIFY THE TYPE AND NO SUBSTANTIATION OF THE TIME COULD BE MADE.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

DIRECTIONAL CONTROL..NOT MAINTAINED..DUAL STUDENT
JUDGMENT..POOR..DUAL STUDENT
VERTICAL TAKEOFF..UNCONTROLLED..DUAL STUDENT
INSTRUCTIONS,WRITTEN/VERBAL..DISREGARDED..DUAL STUDENT

Latest resources

Back