Helicopter training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dumb Pilot

I've been interested in getting my rotorcraft rating for a while so I think I'm going for it.....! Asking for experiences with Hummingbird aviation out off flying cloud. Or any other recommendation otherwise.

Thank you

I've been interested in getting my rotorcraft rating for a while so I think I'm going for it.....! Asking for experiences with Hummingbird aviation out off flying cloud. Or any other recommendation otherwise.

Thank you

If money is no object then got to the Bell Helicopter Training Academy and get your rating in a Bell 206B.

If that is not an option go to a school with either a Schweizer (Sikorsky) 300 or a Robinson R-44. They are a little easier for a new student to handle than the R-22 so you may finish in about 5 hours less total time. Hummingbird seems to fit the bill. Also Bristow in Florida, and Universal in Arizona, have good reputations.

The piece of advice I can offer is don't do your training piecemeal. It will take you anywhere from 5-10 hours to figure out how to hover and its not exactly something where you can take a lesson and then two or three weeks later take another lesson. Guys who don't go regularly wind up taking 75-100 hours to complete their add-ons.

It is definitely worth doing and a great way to learn about some other facets of aviation. Helicopter pilots are like the Rodney Dangerfield's of aviation, "they get no respect", but for the most part helicopters have caught up to airplanes in most things but speed.

Any good places that will help in using GI Bill money to pay for flight training? Thanks.

Universal Helo is CRAZY expensive! Over $600.00 an hour for the R-44..plus $60.00 for the instructor. A few students I know went through 6 different instructors and UHI found that acceptable. That is a day one, block one no-no.

They are also very risk adverse, which is usually not a bad thing, but when it gets in the way of realistic training, it is.

Latest resources

Back