Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
I'm flying 121 fixed wing fon now but am looking to use my rotorwing licence in the future. Something that sounds interesting is flying medivac for a hospital. does anyone know what kind of hiring and pay one could expect from a helicopter career? Are there any good helicopter essage boards out there? Thanks

www.nemspa.org is a website that has a ton of links and info about rotor wing EMS. Also, most hospitals actually hire 135 operators to run EMS Operations. The largest three are Rocky Mountain Helicopters, Air Methods, and CJ Systems.

After 27 years with the state you make $85,700 here and a job flying for a hospital in BK117's was paying $47,000 starting salary about 3 years ago. I don't remember what Rocky Mountains offer was, but it was some where around the mid 40's flying an EC135. The state police pay is the only one I know for certain, the others may have changed. And part time with a charter company was paying $30 an hour in the air and $25 an hour on the ground flying a Longranger, Jetranger and Enstroms.

A very close friend of mine went the civilian route for helicopter training and found that the hardest requirement to meet with EMS operators was turbine time. He did six or seven summers in southeast Alaska flying for of the the tour operators. He enjoyed every minute up there.

From what I understand, flying for law enforcement requires police training as well. I read recently the L.A. rotorwing division requires you to be on the ground a minimum of two years before applying to the airwing. Don't know if that still holds true. Another post on this board a while back mentioned a similar requirement for the U.S. Customs (law enforcement training that is).

I have several friends who fly EMS and say it's the most rewarding and satisfying jobs they've ever had.

Good luck in your search.

2000Flyer

Yes, for the state you need 5 years ground working here and a Private Pilot (Airplane) for the state police. They train you though your Comm (helicopter) all for free. You can even use any of thier airplanes free of charge (for training purposes only), if you pay for instructor you can get you're ratings in the aircraft as well. It really is a great job. Another way you might be able to go is the DEA. I don't know what the requirments are, but they just had an inccident where one of their pilots in training crashed, so it seems they train you.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back