• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Helicopter AddOn

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
where did you go? I too am thinking about this.

Ditto. I've always been curious about attaining the helo rating as well. Although there's no way I could afford it for quite some time.

Hopefully some here will chime in with which helos are easier to learn. I got my private add-on in a R-22 and it was not easy. I was alternating between the left seat of a DHC-8 and the right seat of the R-22. I got my rating at 65hrs and $12,000 in SEA. Now had I flown 3 times a week until my check ride I might have gotten that number of hrs down to 50. I am now working on my commercial add-on and just about done. Most flight schools use R-22s. I actually learned to hover in about 5 hrs, but the real fun is autos, slope landings in a x-wind and steep approaches. For a little more $, I would just skip the private add-on and get the commercial add-on.

I didnt do it. my friend did....

This is what I wrote in my post...
anyway, I plan to do it too, maybe soon....
Do the gyro anywhere, but the problem is the solo in the gyro. That can be done only in Alabama with Duphin. Then a check ride with the FAA or Ron Menzi.
Then my friend went to LA and did 10 hours in R22 and the check ride for commercial there....
I might go there or to another place....
The regs for add on helicopter after you have a rotorcraft call for 3 hours in the last 60 days when you prepare for the test......
That is all. My friend did it after I told him I think it
can be done that way. I was right. and now I will do it and will report here...

Do the gyro anywhere, but the problem is the solo in the gyro. That can be done only in Alabama with Duphin. Then a check ride with the FAA or Ron Menzi.

You're not suggesting that one has to go to Alabama to solo a gyro, are you?

One doesn't need to go to Alabama to solo a gyroplane, or to Ron Menzi for a checkride (although you're in good hands with Ron).

Gyroplane instruction can be found all over the country, and any gyro instructor can solo you.

Look here:

You're not suggesting that one has to go to Alabama to solo a gyro, are you?

---
Yes I do, for solo not on your gyro....
---

One doesn't need to go to Alabama to solo a gyroplane, or to Ron Menzi for a checkride (although you're in good hands with Ron).

---
true..
but who will let you solo in his or her gyro? I am looking for one that will let me right now.....
If you know of one, please let me know....
ven a private owner.....
-----

Gyroplane instruction can be found all over the country, and any gyro instructor can solo you.

---
all true. they can solo you, but they will not let you solo in their gyro... bring your own...
-----

All in all I plan to get the 25 hours in a gyro, Then Commercial checkride, then CFI-Gyro add-on,
then Helicopter Comm, then CFI-H add-on and instrument pilot plus CFII-H... all under $12,000.
all as in all.....
will report here.....

I am on my way

I had a great tax refund (free loan to gov't) I just put down north of $7000 for 40 hours of R22 (24 dual/16 solo/check ride). My goal is 7 hours to hover and private by the 40 hour mark. I have not flown VFR for +6 years, a little apprehensive.
I considered just going for the commercial, however by going the private I will be able to log PIC while working on Instrument/commercial(if I ever get the money, my bride just told me we are expecting unexpected #3. Glad I put the money down before she told me or I would never have done this).
In this economic enviroment I look at this as a tax write off and another card in my hand in case my GREAT corporate gig goes away (Bristol, GM, Ford, and all others that are looking my prayers are with you and your family).

Hawk

You will have fun hawk! But this add-on could easily go over 50 hrs. The R-22 is not an easy heli to fly, especially if your coming from fixed wing. Hover varies for everyone, but ballpark is 5-10 hrs. Solo by 20 hrs. (remember SFAR) Then perfect autos, steep approaches and slope landings (one of the more difficult manuevers, especially in a x-wind). For your commercial add-on, you will need the solo long x-country and 5hrs solo time at night. This will be post private-add on time.

Latest resources

Back