• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fogrunner said:
Do none of you have a hobby? Two pages and 28 posts about the heavy call sign

Well you're reading this thread, aren't you? :p

I think some people who use heavy in centers are just trying to show off that they fly big iron. and from what Ive heard, the pilots dont say 757 heavy, but the atc will advise "heavy 757 departing"

Another company that uses "heavy" on their 757s is Aeromexico...or was it Mexicana?...well, it's one of the Mexican ones.

Last edited:
big_al said:
I think some people who use heavy in centers are just trying to show off that they fly big iron. and from what Ive heard, the pilots dont say 757 heavy, but the atc will advise "heavy 757 departing"

As far as I know, HEAVY is to be used with the 757 equipment because even though it is not technically a heavy by its weight, it has been known to produce an unusually violent wake for its size and has caused an accident in the past. I do remember this as being a fact.

Regarding saying HEAVY to the center, this is not required except in other parts of the world. In the USA the use of the word HEAVY is only for contact with local control such as GC, Tower, Approach/Departure control.

Now in Canada, that country requires pilots to use the word HEAVY when checking in, even with the Canadian centers.

fogrunner said:
Do none of you have a hobby? Two pages and 28 posts about the heavy call sign.........

You're right. This is some people's hobby. Personally I like this and can spend several hours on this and other boards if I have nothing else to do.

Is that sick or what? Is there something wrong with those who like learning and sharing information about aviation? I do not think so.

Your questions and/or comments are always welcome.

Undaunted Flyer

part61 said:
U really fly the shuttle Mr. Motorcycle Rider?

I only fly the shuttle in my dreams. The space shuttle is listed here because one time there was a thread here at FI that said to give yourself a virtual rating in anything. My choice was a V-rating in a Space Shuttle.

You can give yourself a v-rating too, if you wish.

Latest resources

Back