"heavy" callsign usage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's the skinny

The Heavy call sign is used by all A/C that are certificated north of 255,000 including 757's due to the wake turbulence issue with those aircraft, regardless of the current weight of the A/C, IE if your on a ferry flight and are light as a kite you still use the Heavy call sign.

It is only used for tower, approach and departure.

It is basically a backup reminder for the controller ( as its already designated on your strip) to give adequate separation. Center controllers give everyone the same separation so no need for the Heavy call sign.

It also helps the pilot behind you adjust accordingly to stay out of your wake zone, IE flying one dot high or slowing down.

Hope this helps.

I will disagree with Sampson on this issue. In the US, you must use Heavy with all calls, tower, ground, clearance, appoach, departure, and en route controllers. If you forget often times they will respond to you with the heavy call sign (or on a clearance frequency they will ask if you are heavy sometimes).
In Canada when you check in with a facility you will make the initial call with the Heavy callsign, thats it, you don't need to tell Moncton you are heavy every call.
In Europe, and the rest of the world I do agree with Sampson, the call is only for tower, approach and departure. They are the only ones you will use the heavy callsign for.

F&B

Sampson said:
It also helps the pilot behind you adjust accordingly to stay out of your wake zone, IE flying one dot high or slowing down..
Another instance comes to mind where a captain told me to waive the wake turbulence advisory when we were given "position and hold" after a departing learjet. Our plane was larger, so not much risk.

Sure enough, the controller cleared us for takeoff right away. If it were a "heavy" we could not waive the advisory, from what he told me.

-ATA's 757s are certified heavier than standard 75s, thus the "heavy" call sign. -300s are the same.

- As for non-heavy 757s, they get there own classification for wake separation. Heavys get 5 miles in trail, 757s get 4 miles on take-off.

As for the use of "Heavy" in the call sign, only in the terminal area. No one gives a sh*t how much you weight in the flight levels, in trail spacing is always the same .;)

MikeMD80 said:
As for the use of "Heavy" in the call sign, only in the terminal area. No one gives a sh*t how much you weight in the flight levels, in trail spacing is always the same .;)

I agree with you 100%, but why do we always hear people calling Center at altitude using "heavy" after their callsign when we're at FL330?

The people saying "heavy" with the center are just uninformed I guess or lazy. "Heavy"is not used in most of Europe the ME or parts of Asia that I have flown in.

Do none of you have a hobby? Two pages and 28 posts about the heavy call sign.

Originally Posted by fokkers&beer
I will disagree with Sampson on this issue. In the US, you must use Heavy with all calls, tower, ground, clearance, appoach, departure, and en route controllers. If you forget often times they will respond to you with the heavy call sign (or on a clearance frequency they will ask if you are heavy sometimes).
In Canada when you check in with a facility you will make the initial call with the Heavy callsign, thats it, you don't need to tell Moncton you are heavy every call.
In Europe, and the rest of the world I do agree with Sampson, the call is only for tower, approach and departure. They are the only ones you will use the heavy callsign for.

F&B

What he said is correct basically right out of the FOPM.........

Last edited:
The Polish airlines flight flies every day from Chicago to Warsaw as "a lot too heavy." Lott airlines flt 2 is a B767.

Latest resources

Back