Heart Stent and Class 1 Medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PowerCurve

Any ideas on how long it takes and success rate of getting a class 1 medical back after a minor heart attack and installation of a stent? Does OK City really have a more streamlined process now?

One of the pilots in our dept. has been waiting for an answer 4 months after the re-application.

If all the paperwork is perfect, 6 months is likely (unless you know someone in Oke City). They suffer from terminal backlog, unfortunately. Good luck to your friend. At least he can get his medical back !

A terminal backlog is right -

I just looked at the website www.aviationmedicine.com, they say:

" The mailroom at the AMCD receives about 2,000 pieces of mail per day including a daily average of 1,235 medical applications seven days a week."

That's an amazing amount. It works out to 75 medical applications per AMCD Physician per day.

Luckily, as it seems, most medical re-apps are denied due to a lack of proper paperwork. It pays to follow their recommendations to the letter!

Has anyone used www.aviationmedicine.com or www.leftseat.com ?

For anyone with a similar condition, it took our pilot 5 months from eligibility (after the 6 month waiting period) to reapply for the 1st class medical until approval.

Good news for us!

For anyone with a similar condition, it took our pilot 5 months from eligibility (after the 6 month waiting period) to reapply for the 1st class medical until approval.

Good news for us!

Thanks for the update. But I'm sure it is a difficult decision for some when they answer the questionaire (can't remember the exact words) "ever had high blood pressure" and/or "ever experience coronary problems"? Realize it is the government but do they have to make it so cursedly slow and painful? - especially since the medical proof is available pretty much as soon as you want it. I think some pilots would be more upfront with their medical conditions (and "correcting" them) if it wasn't such a bureacratic pain in the backside to get the government to sign them off.

Last edited:
Any ideas on how long it takes and success rate of getting a class 1 medical back after a minor heart attack?

The longest I've heard is 3 months after application; the shortest is one day (for a reapplication with no changes to report). Make sure that every 'i' is dotted and every 't' is crossed.

Any ideas on how long it takes and success rate of getting a class 1 medical back after a minor heart attack and installation of a stent? Does OK City really have a more streamlined process now?

One of the pilots in our dept. has been waiting for an answer 4 months after the re-application.
I know this is an old posting but I just saw the words "minor heart attack" and was surprised you could even apply for a 1st class medical. I thought stents were ok after an evaluation period but they had to be inserted "prior" to a heart attack. Did your friend succeeded in getting his/her 1st class medical?

Anyone been through this process lately? I have a friend who had a stent after a heart attack and I'm wondering how long it is taking once your paperwork is turned in to OK City. I realize every case is different, but anyone with recent knowledge?
thanks!

Latest resources

Back