Heard it all now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Timebuilder, Fosters?

C'mon mate - Fosters is the crap we export to you guys! :) I prefer Crown Lager myself - seriously, they are bright young guys that come into the airline - they get through the flight training, and beleive me, Singapore Airlines does not skimp on training! they are sharp young guys that can fly as well, and the good thing about Singaporean kids - they have a good grasp of English!!

Till they get mixed up with us Aussies, then they learn all the bad habits!

Foreign airline flight training

It is true that comparative low-timers find their way into foreign airline cockpits. Singapore is only one example. I've been around a couple of foreign airline training programs. You could call it reverse P-F-T.

Many foreign airlines will have would-be pilots apply to them. The airlines screen the applicants and hand-pick the best ones. Then, they train them, on the airline's nickel at its own school, or through a contract program at someplace like FlightSafety. It's extremely serious and structured training. Not a moment is wasted. Airline training captains are breathing down the students' necks at all times. The end result is a very well-trained pilot.

I worked in the Alitalia program at FlightSafety. Asiana, Air France, Air Inter and Tyrolean had contract programs at FlightSafety when I worked there ten years ago. At times, FSI has trained Saudia students. I believe that Swissair was the first foreign airline to establish a contract program at FSI. Dunno what's happened to it after Swissair went bankrupt.

Last edited:
capt_zman said:
Was offered a position flying a BE400 today for a 91/135 company. When I inquired about upgrade, I was told that "due to insurance mins, we have a 25,000 hr requirement for PIC's."

Ok, I'm 32 and if I fly 1000 hours per year, I can upgrade when I'm 54. Geez, I must be special to land a winner like this.

At my Company (Fortune 100 Corporation) we fly many high level people around, several are Billionaires (yes, Billion with a B)... we require 5,000 hours minimum for a Captain slot (Falcon 900EX)... and typically require 4,000+ for F/O's (Falcon 50EX).... 25,000 is a load of crap... We fly all over the world (no offense but I don't hear many BeechJets over the Atlantic or on the Pacific routes)

I am 34 and I fly 500 hours a year, I will be 70 before I have 25,000 hours... I plan to retire at 55 or 60 at the latest... If I hit 20,000 hours I will be lucky...

Either these guys are stiffing you or it was a simple mistake... hopefully the latter....

Fly Safe!

The point was made these are three long term airline guys that are the captains no one else will ever upgrade until these guys decide to retire or can no longer get a medical. Insurance rates only go so low and the lowest rate break is probably around 10K depending on time in type, a pilot with a lot of time in type would bottom out the rate at less total time. These guys just want you to know you will never be a captain! I seriously doubt they will type you either.

Wee willy wankers!!!

I once applied to an operator in the Australian outback that had Piper Cheiftains and he used them on mail runs etc. He required, 2500 hrs total,1000 multi-engine command, etc - I thought the PA-31 must of been really hard to fly with those requirements - turned out when I did get to fly one it was obvious the old coote was full of **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**e. This was before the days of big insurance premiums etc.

Nope, I stand by my claim, it's a classic case of the right hand doing the five knuckle shuffle on the urine pump, and the good thing is - the crusty old buggers that promote or condone this kind of moronic attitude are by and large nearly at retirement age.

An aeroplane is an aeroplane - your a wanker if you think that no one else can do the job, I mean they did teach an ape to fly a Mercury space capsule.

I’m going to have to agree with overall opinion of most of the respondents on this thread.
I will turn 55 on the 29th of this month. I have been flying professionally since I was 19. That’s 36 years (You would have thought I would have figured it out by now).

Anyway, I have right at 22,000hrs. For any organization to require 25,000hrs for a PIC is plane stupid or there is some type of hidden agenda.

Someone pointed out how low the flying time is for command with a lot of foreign air carriers. They are quite correct. Check out the accident reports on some Asian airlines in the last couple of years. (I aint going to name names, ok.)

Latest resources

Back