Health club deductions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

turbodriver

In preperation for next year, has anybody ever deducated health club dues seeing as how we all have to maintain medicals required by the gov't? Isn't it considered a work expense?

Only if you can justify the fact that you'd totally let yourself go if you had a different profession.

I say it's valid. I deduct my dry cleaning, haircuts, toothpaste, shaving cream, etc...

I would venture to guess that you could not deduct health club dues, only because the regs specify that you have to meet certain criteria for a medical, but they don't mandate any particular routine. Also, your employer does not require you to own a membership either.

I honestly tried to deduct haircuts and I couldn't do it. Our SOP's mandate parameters for length of hair, but my accountant said the IRS wouldn't allow something like this.

I checked on this last year. My tax guy said that, too be safe, you should have a letter from an AME stating that you need the health club membership for this reason. That way you have something to fall back on at the audit.

If you check the IRS Document ...I believe it specfically says that you CANNOT deduct health club dues

A quick look at some of the fat slobs in the profession prove that a health club membership is not necessary for our job. No offense to the fat slobs. I aspire to be one someday too!

I deduct my health club and martial arts dues for "cockpit defense." Can't defend it if you can't get out of your seat, and can't defend it if you don't know how.

Latest resources

Back