Headsets for turboprops/RJ's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Additional Headset Info

ANR capability isn't much of a concern in the CRJ (if that's the RJ you're talking about), so go with what you stated your #1 concern is...comfort.

Everyone always brags on the comfort and noise reduction of the Bose. While I don't dispute the noise the reduction. I still classify it as a "head clamp." My parents bought me the Bose 4 years ago as a birthday present. At the time I was flying skydivers in a Cessna 206. The Bose was the perfect headset for that aircraft. That cockpit was so noisy, especially with the door open. The Bose did a great job of making it much quieter. My only complaint - after about 3-4 hours of wearing it in a day you can start feeling the pressure around your ears. I've always thought the Bose would be much more comfortable if you could adjust the tension of the spring located at the top so it didn't squeeze quite as much. That's why I'm looking for something lighter and more comfortable. I know some will disagree with me. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that the Bose is simply the best headset out there in all respects. I think it depends on the aircraft you fly. If you're in a quieter turboprop like I fly now. Something less than half the weight of the Bose with 30 db of noise reduction has gotta be a better choice. If your flying something noiser go with the Bose - if you can afford it.

I disagree, Cat.

I find the RJ to be pretty noisy when my ANR dies! It's amazing how much wind-noise there is (especially on our older ones) at .77 mach. Also, the avionics cooling fans make a ton of noise that is taken care of quite well by the Sennheiser's ANR.

Besides...hearing is one thing you want to protect at all costs! I wear earplugs, too (both outside the cockpit and inside)!

How can anyone afford those things (Bose, Sennheiser) on a regional salary???? Go to ebaymotors.com. I found a set of Telex Pro II for $38. Yeah, they were used but they work great in the RJ!!!! Telex 750's work great in the RJ also. No headaches either!!

Jimbo,

If I weren't a captain, weren't married to a woman who makes more than I do, and couldn't deduct every single thing I pay for regarding my career from my taxes, I wouldn't have bought a new headset, period. :D I'd still be using my 15 year-old David Clamps!

Cheers!

I hear ya CaptBrazilia. I used to be in that situation but after a furlough and a divorce and no $$ in the bank, EBAY is my best friend now....;)

CaptainBrazilia said:
I disagree, Cat.

I find the RJ to be pretty noisy when my ANR dies! It's amazing how much wind-noise there is (especially on our older ones) at .77 mach. Also, the avionics cooling fans make a ton of noise that is taken care of quite well by the Sennheiser's ANR.

Besides...hearing is one thing you want to protect at all costs! I wear earplugs, too (both outside the cockpit and inside)!

Well, if ther is one thing I'd "want to protect at all costs", it sure wouldn't be my ears, but sticking to the subject, I never found that the wind-noise in the cockpit of any jet (not even the funky-nosed Westwind at 350+ knots) required ANR capability. Earplugs AND an ANR headset in a jet? Wow, you must have dog ears.

Of course, it could be that my hearing is shot from too many years of listening to Van Halen, Rush, and AC/DC at full blast. (Eh, what's that sonny..something about cooling fans? Cooling fans? Never heard 'em. Who's their guitar player?)

Yaak,

I meant that I use earplugs if I decide to take the headset off in-flight. The AME says I'm losing my high-freq hearing already. He suggests that its something to do with walking around the Brazilia without earplugs (that APU is a screaming bitch).

Rush fan, eh? I've seen em 19 times. At least once per tour since Moving Pictures (I was 10), except for last year's Vapor Trails tour. STUPID AIRLINE JOB!!! I couldn't get the time off and had to sell the tix I had for the Salt Lake City show.

Next time, I SWEAR I'm gonna go see them in Toronto!!

Latest resources

Back