Headset?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

billboeing

What is a great headset for the RJ? Don't mention Bose unless you really think it is superior to others. Anyone know anything about Sennheisser? It just seems like there is so many model, just kind of trying to get some information on which headset suits the RJ. Thank you all for your time...

Bose!

Couldn't help it! I see a lot of guys wearing the Telex types with spongy earplugs underneath and have the audio panel turned darned near all the way up. The BoseX are just so darned comfortable, and they really keep the noise out in the CRJ....makes for a nice ride, and you don't feel like your head's been in a vise at the end of the day.

Yeah, it's a steep price, but amoritize it over several years of satisfaction and retention of your precious hearing and it'll certainly be worth it. I hope to fly with a CA that has one of the ANR Telex someday to do a little bit of unscientific comparison.

It's a personal issue. The Bose X's hurt me after about 45 minutes. For me they are uncomfortable. That aside the Bose are also gaining a reputation for poor quality. I like the quote in Professional Pilot magazine. "We bought 2 sets of Bose Xs when they first came out. I really like them." Later the guy goes on to say that they had to replace 4 or 5 of them. I have several friends who collectively own six sets of the Bose. Out of those, 4 have been replaced or fixed at least once. Right now two of them don't work properly but my friends are getting tired of shipping them back to Bose.
If you already own a headset that you have broken in and like, keep them, they will work fine on the RJ. I laugh at the guys who race out to spend money on light weight headsets when they get that high paying (ha!) job in the right seat of the RJ, then they insert earplugs. If you need earplugs because of noise, why not wear a set of headsets that block out the noise. Some people are comfortable with that and great, it is as I said, a personal issue. Good luck and don't waste your money foolishly.

headsets

I wore earplugs with the Telex 750 in the 737. Very noisy cockpit during cruise descent until you slowed below 250.

I find a lightweight headset with a good set of earplugs far more comfortable than a "clamp".

Just my opinion though.

Before I adjusted the headband mine used to feel like a clamp too. Obviously everybodys head is a different shape. I 'opened' my headband up a bit and experimented with differnt heights and angles of the earcups until they felt comfortable. Just like a pair of glasses, they do have to 'fitted' properly. Take care.

I've used the Sennheiser HMEC 25-KA for almost 2 years now in the J41 and D328Jet. They have done a great job of keeping things quiet. I used them in the CRJ jumpseat a few times and they made it whisper. Good bang for the buck. Much better than the Telex ANR 500 which I replaced with this one.

Telex ANR500 is lightweight, very comfortable, and does a good job of noise cancellation, but I've had reliability problems with mine. Circuit board had to replaced twice (under 3-year warranty).

Latest resources

Back