headset time...advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Denali recommendation

I have the Denali active noise reduction set and absolutely love it. They are quiet and comfortable. Also, I've found FlightCom's customer service similar to David Clark's legendary service. I sent my headset in for a loose piece inside the earcup and got new earseals for free in the process.

The only downside I've seen thus far is their warranty is three years instead of lifetime like David-Clark's.

Tim

avbug said:
I was doing a departure into low IFR, and just after entering the cloud, the headband broke and it fell off my head. It's plastic, and it just fell apart. I plucked some electrical tape out of my flightsuit, and did a very hasty repair.

Now that is classic avbug.

Actually, that's improvisation. A classical purist would have used duct tape...and so would I, but it was at the back of the airplane.

I always kept a backup headsetset in a waterproof bag, and a set of gun muffs clamped to the seat. The noise in there was unbearable, and when the set broke, I used the gun muffs until the repair was done.

The electrical tape lasted a couple of months of hard abuse, before it finally went in for repairs.

There is no end of use for duct tape. Like, say, you are hiking alone in the wilderness without telling anybody where you're going, and you manage to dislodge a boulder and get it stuck over your arm. And then, suppose you remove your forearm with a victrinox, you can, for instance, use the duct tape to seal it up, secure what's left to your body, and high-tail it for home.

Plus, if you're one of those wilderness urine drinkers, you can make a cup out of the duct tape, then wad it up and chew on it when you're done. With a little imagination, you can pretend it's really a cake donut.

then wad it up and chew on it when you're done. With a little imagination, you can pretend it's really a cake donut.

Heh - that wouldn't take much imagination!

I should have seen that coming. But I didn't.

A truly religious man might turn water into wine, but the true test is transforming duct tape into a donut.

That's okay, though, because with urine for flavor, it will still taste like a krispy kreme.

guys, I need some advice......

I have recently gotten a pair of DC ANR (or ENC) and they seemed like heaven on earth, or just above it, at first.
Now I fly with the ANR swithced off, cause its too bloody annoying.
If I sit perfectly still and dont move my head at all, its wonderfull. Very quiet, can hear pax/crew talking behind me etc etc. But with the ANR 'ON', as soon as I turn my head or chew on crew meal, or look down to pick something up from the floor, the cacophony of electronic whooping and scratching & popping in my ears makes me want to rip the bloody thing off my head!

Has anybody else experienced problems like this with their DC's ? Is my set faulty? or is it a DC thing, the electronic noises?

I am thinking of returning the set, but would rahter not, if anything can be done. It takes a very long time to get stuff like this couriered over here.

Thanks in advance

I love my Bose....used 'em in what I consider three noisy airplanes(MU-2, 1900D, ERJ)...they're very light, fit my head really well (unlike Davy Clarks) and the 9v lasts about a month. My only gripe is I wish it had a "auto-off" feature to save the battery, but you'll come to include turning it off with your shutdown flow. I would reccomend this headset to anyone....worth the price. Sometimes I can hear the FA doing her thing back in the galley. And as someone else has said, tax deductable!

800 hours in 18 months on my Bose X. Not the first problem. As far as harsh environments, How about 400 of those hours freight doggin' in a 210? In FL? In summer (boom)? You know what I'm talking about...

They are the best tax deductable investment I have made. Right up there with my Riddle tuition.

Plus, they are so quiet I can make believe my King Air is a jet when the props are at 1700...

One flight I was wearing my David Clark 13.4's that I liked, but gave me headaches after about an hour. I was with a friend who had the Bose Series X. I tried them on.

It was a $1000 mistake. I no longer have the DC's, and have a pair of Bose that I bought using their no interest payments for a year. Unbelievable headset. Durable, light, comfortable, and they sound amazing with music.

BTW, I said I would NEVER spend more than $500 on a pair of headsets.

Headsets Inc.

I recently was returned my DC 10-30 from Headsets Inc. and am very happy with it. I sure beats wearing earplugs under the headset. It however has trouble keeping up on takeoff. I dont know if it is the headset, or the fact that the 550 in the c-206 I fly is so darn loud.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back