• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

**HEADLINE SKYWEST to fly USAir RJs***

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No offense to Skywest, but I honestly believe Delta is using them as a scare tactic before we negotiate our new contract at ASA. We can make more money doing those routes than if Skywest worked for free. Why else would they be letting them take our routes? Management learned their lesson from Comair. Once the contract is signed, there will be some big changes..

Intriguing post. Could you explain to me how it is that Delta has managed to convince the USAir MEC and USAir to make this offer to SkyWest and the other carriers?

How many years did it take for the Comair pilots to get their new contract? If Delta is using us (SkyWest) as a scare tactic I guess we'd better get ready to take over alot of ASA routes and new RJ's in the next 4 to 5 years. Delta will not let itself get put in a "Comair Stike" situation again. Contracts (more so at our level)ALWAYS take years beyond the amendable date (Comair, Air Wiskey, West Air, TSA, etc.) to negotiate. Delta will use the carrier that best fits its needs for the moment. Thats why we have 15 ex-Comair RJ's in our fleet.

Fly Safe

To add some info to this disscusion, which is more directed to the U mainline. At PSA in the last month or so, we hired back approx. 25 furloughed mainline pilots, not all were from U, some from Delta and such, all were previously PSA Capts. now working as a new hire FO all over again at NEW HIRE PAY, at the BOTTOM OF OUR LIST and NO QUICK BIDS TO CAPT.

I'm curious if the other mainline pilots think that they are any better than those who came back to PSA because working excuse me, I mean flying is better than not flying at all. To all the contract carriers, don't let the mainline MEC tell you how its gonna be! U needs the jets period. One way or another Wolf will get them or U will not last and everyone knows it. By all means hire the furloughed guys but at your discretion not theirs. And at your NORMALL pay rates.

To those of you out there that say express is taking mainline routes, I say tell Wolfe to get a better route structure. Your right that no one wants to spend two hours in a turboprop. When I first came here the 328 was and still is doing long flights and mainline was using a 737 to go from PIT to DAY, what waste. Whos supposed to feed who? No wonder this company is in trouble.

Ill stop now, sorry for the rant but this Jets 4 Jobs thing is BS. I'm sorry that there are mainline guys out on the street, but I absolutely disagree with this deal and I can see why you feel that your routes are being takin. But how do you think the Wholy-Owned pilots feel seeing a contract carrier flying to the same cities with jets. Looks like PDT, ALG, and PSA need our own scope.

FIRE AWAY

I must say, you all work in one crazy industry (airlines). A guy can go from being in charge of one of the largest airliners in the world to entry level wages and being subordinate to a 25 year old.

It doesn't make any sense.

I am curious.

How did it get this way?

Does this have its roots in the railroad or shipping industry?

If a captain in the merchant marines loses his job because of company bankruptcy, does he start all over as a deck hand elsewhere?

I guess I don't get it. If I get hired off the street to fly for TSA and I could hold captain on the jet because I have the experience, I would have to wait. But the guy being hired next to me who is furloughed from USAIR gets to be a captain right away?

That sounds like a move that is going to cause quite a bit of bad blood within the pilot group.

Please explain if I don't have it right.

Surfnole

I must say, you all work in one crazy industry (airlines). A guy can go from being in charge of one of the largest airliners in the world to entry level wages and being subordinate to a 25 year old.

It is a crazy industry but age has nothing to do with it. I'm a 31 year old underpaid F.O. But some of the 25 year old Capts. I fly with are just as good as some of the old guys I've flown with. I made different career decisions than others so this is where I stand now, no regreats.

It doesn't make any sense.

You're right, and if history has taught us anything, in the future it won't make any sense again.

I am curious.

Curiousity killed the cat!

How did it get this way?
Does this have its roots in the railroad or shipping industry?

That I have no idea about, but I will say this. The people in charge ie: Wolfe, didn't get rich by being stupid. I'd be loaded if being stupid was the way to go. The people in charge love the fact that all the pilot groups can't stand each other, it assures them that the pilots will never have any power to stand up for themselves. The WO's (PDT, ALG, PSA) are pissed cause we'll never get jets. Mainlines pissed cause very soon there will be a total of 1350 of them on the street with no place to go until one of the contract carriers ends up chocking on this Jets 4 Jobs garbage that mainline is trying shove down everyones throats. And when that happens US Airways will become the CONTRACT CARRIER OF CHOICE

If a captain in the merchant marines loses his job because of company bankruptcy, does he start all over as a deck hand elsewhere?

Don't have a clue! Don't want to know!

I guess I don't get it. If I get hired off the street to fly for TSA and I could hold captain on the jet because I have the experience, I would have to wait. But the guy being hired next to me who is furloughed from USAIR gets to be a captain right away?

That sounds like a move that is going to cause quite a bit of bad blood within the pilot group.

I'll put it to ya like this. commuting has not been fun lately. Well it's never been fun but now its getting down right nasty.

"Take care of yourselves, and eachother"- Jerry Springer

USAir filling Host Airline Seats

Hi!

To answer about the USAir pilot filling a Capt's seat:

As far as I understand, based on what our MEC and Co. have said:

50% (or a minimum of 4 pilots) of the pilot manning per plane will be OFFERED to USAir pilots. The senior ones would get a Capt seat, the junior ones an FO seat. The other seats would go to the host airline. If any of the 4/50% seats go unfilled by USAir (it's estimated that only about 50% of their elligible pilots will accept RJ seats), then they'll also be filled by the host airline.

The USAir pilots are locked into those seats. If a USAir Capt leaves, their seat will 1st be offered to an elligible USAir FO. If they turn it down, a host airline pilot will fill it. If they take it, a host airline pilot will fill their FO seat.

According to our last Co. info, these USAir pilots will come in at the bottom of the seniority list of those pilots currently flying, so, we presume, ahead of the furloughees and poolies. They will have both a host airline and a USAir seniority number. The USAir pilots have offered to have the host airline pilots receive 50% of future USAir new pilot hiring slots (if/when USAir hires again).

They said if we accept it, a late summer/fall delivery of the 1st USAir jets.

Interesting...

Cliff

That sounds like a terrible deal for the "host" airline. If that goes to a vote, I hope the pilots turn it down.

If TSA buys the jets they should have the choice about who they put in the seats.

Here's my next question:
If TSA turns down the pilot deal do they lose the contract with usairways?

It seems that any of these contract companies could easily man the jets without making a deal to specifically hire the furloughed US pilots.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back