Headaches after flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joseph II

Have any of you gotten headaches after you went up flying?

It seems like I have been getting them almost every time I go up in small aircraft.

I *think* it may be one of the following reasons.

1. Being dehydrated.
2. Headset (I have D/C 13.4's).
3. Poor posture?

Has anyone experienced headaches?

Thanks!

I did have headaches early on in my flight training and I would attribute it to the following reasons.

1) Not getting enough liquid in my system. I now take atleast one or two bottles of water up front with me whenever I fly.

2) Using a "cheap" and uncomfortable headset. I now use the Telex Airman ANR 500 and it is extremely light weight, small, and it is very comfortable on for long periods at a time.

3) Not eating prior to flying always seemed to cause a headache to come on. Fruit seems to do the trick :D :D

I would suggest if you are flying out of a HOT environment that you dress in light clothes as well as making sure you have a pair of good sunglasses.

Flying out of HOU in July and August was never much fun in aircraft without AC so I would use a "cool wrap" which you can purchase at the Sharper Image that you wrap around your neck which seemed to prevent headaches. Really kools ya down :D :D
I think it was the best $20.00 I spent there.

3 5 0

I had a pair of David Clark 13.4 head crushers once. The worst my head has hurt in my entire life was after wearing them for 3.5 hours straight. I've broken a windshield with my head before and it was no comparison. I now have a LightSpeed 25XL and love them. They are extremely comfortable. The head crusher fans will say things like "plastic" and other words like "batteries" to try and keep you feeling like you have been hit in the head with a hammer every time you go flying. Don't listen to them. I've been down this road before. You don't have to get the LightSpeed that is just what I decided on after a lot of research and a lot of asking around. I especially talked about the headaches and everyone that I spoke with recommended LightSpeed. Whatever you do ditch the head crushers.

RT

Water and a good pair of ANR headseats cured my headache problems!!!

Thank god for ANR!

In the last few weeks I've had allergies becoming a problem. I'll end up with a headache (from sinus pressure) after flying sometimes because of this.

Whatever you do, dont buy cheap sunglasses! I have read some scary stuff on that subject. You probably need to spend around a $100 for a good pair that will truly protect your eyes. Cheap sunglasses will actually open your pupil more allowing more light in, while not blocking the harmful rays. This is actuall worse than not wearing sunglasses.

I echo the previous posts.

1. Use a good headset. I once owned a pair of Telex Echelon's (briefly) and this head vise would give me a headache after about 10 minutes. They were even worse than the DC13.4's. I eventually bought Lightspeed 20XL's (they're great).

2. Stay hydrated.

3. Don't starve yourself. (I like fruit or PB & honey sandwiches for energy)

4. Do you have allergies? Recently the mold and ragweed have been causing me problems.

-Adios

Don't discount a dental issue, either. I have had dental problems in the past that appeared as some of the above mentioned items, or masked themselves as something else entirely. Altitude can aggravate certain conditions. A few years ago I experienced a great deal of pressure in a molar while riding to altitude for a skydive in a Skyvan (unpressurized). At 15,000 I felt a big pop and the pain and pressure went away about as fast as it had come. I later learned that a dentist who had performed a root canal a few months before, had drilled through that tooth into the next, and had also left an air pocket. Something there failed at 15,000'.

You can test the headset issue by flying next time without a headset. If the pain doesn't recur, there's a good chance it's your headset.

Rather than go get a different headset and deal with the expense, try making yours more user friendly. I have been an advocate for some time of using the oregon aero upgrades on existing headsets. The wide headband does wonders for reducing or eliminating "hotspots" on your head. The temperfoam earseals mould to your head with exposure to body heat (but are rock hard in the winter until they get warmed up...put them over your leg to heat them before wearing them). They have other products, too, but the earseals and the headband are for comfort, and are worth it.

If you are wearing sunglasses, quality or not, the temple bar and earpiece may be causing your headache if used in conjunction with a headset. This occurs because of the relationship of the earpieces and the sunglasses, usually pressing against your ear or head. One soloution is to cut the ear pieces shorter and just tuck them in the front of the earseal on the headset. Another is to wear the glasses on an angle, with the earpieces on top of your headset. A third soloution is to get the small foam earseal wedges that make wearing glasses a lot easier (again, oregon aero). A fourth and the most obvious soloution is to stop wearing glasses.

My helmet causes a headache after a short time. It's a reasonably tight "custom" fit, but I find that readjusting it slightly every once in a while usually takes care of the problem. Same for headsets.

Often the worst point for a headset, especially a clamping passive headset, is your jaw. It can be made much worse with a lot of talking, or chewing gum. Something to think about.

It never hurts to carry a couple of tylenol along on the flight. If the headache becomes a problem, or may become a problem, then bag the flight and land. A headache distracts you, possibly more than you realize, and may limit your vision, attentiveness, and ability to pilot the airplane. In worse-case scenarios, your condition may even become debilitating. Not a good time to find out, when flying.

Above all, if your condition isn't easily rectified with the various suggestions you're received, seek medical attention. You may have a condition that warrants it, and generally such things are best not put off for long. Good luck!!

When I flew the 402, I put an ANR mod (the one in Amarillo Texas that is advertised in 'Flight Training') in my David Clarks. That cut out my ear ringing and occasional headaches considerably. I also started drinking a lot of water. That helps, just don't overdo it!
A good pair of sunglasses is key too.

Where is the headache located? Is it in the front or back of your head? I for the longest time would have horrible headaches in the back of my head. I was always told it was a sinus headache. Not true!! My muscles in the back of my neck were always tense, thus giving me a headache. I started looking into my posture and sure enough I was leaning forward while instructing almost all the time. Im also 6'3", so that was some of the reason to lean forward in a c-150. I would feel my neck tensing up and would start to do stretches immediatley to loosen up the tension. Hope this helps.. Anyone know of any ove the counter or legal to fly muscle relaxers?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back