• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HAZARDOUS attitudes at REGIONALS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The next time the CA tells me to fly it like I stole it my response will be: OK, would you please ask center if we can get direct to Cancun.

JDR:
I think the problem is that your remarks/study are directed at regional pilots. Every facet of aviation has people that probably shouldn't be there, or are riding the ragged edge. As for being too stupid for Riddle, this is not possible - they let me in (MAS/Safety). Seriously though, check out the works of Dr. Joyce Teeters (called the Failing Aviator) and Dr. Frank Dully (former navy flight surgeon and psychologist) and Tony Kerns. The latter wrote a great book called Darker Shades of Blue which studied several fatal military accidents which were the result of "rogue" attitudes and could easily be foreseen. The Hibbing, MN accident immediately comes to mind as a commercial example.

PM me with a summary. I'd be interested. I think you might find that fatigue is more a factor than attitude/ability in commercial aviation - especially nowadays. And, majors can have just as grueling of schedules as regionals.

JDR,

I love your posts. However, when you come up with the next one, please, please post it in the Major's Board.

I would love to see the responses from some of the more cranky and crusty guys over there.

Keep it up.

:beer:

Lot of good response material on this thread and I will definitely include it in my powerpoint presentation. It's a shame so many find humor in my plight. How are you going to feel next time you fly home and the captain of your regional is being impulsive? Maybe he decides to land in the wrong direction of forgets to put full flaps down, I don't know, but these are threats and I will help admonish them. Well, not just me, but everyone helping, especially my friend. Here are some other things I was thinking about too. About the attitude of resignation. I don't know what to say about this one. Maybe flying with a bad FO and you just resign that the landings are going to be bad? It'd kind of be like marrying Rhea Pearlman, in that you accept your partner for who they are knowing that the landing or lay is going to be terrible. Maybe in my presentation I'll even have a little picture of her and photoshop a pilot hat on her LOL I don't know, I'm just kidding guys. But back on point, I was talking to a friend at a big regional and he was telling me how a lot of the time a captain might not even call for a checklist and just assumes you'll do stuff. I don't know but that deifinitely is an attitude of invincibility, kind of like saying, "I don't know if it's done but I'll still be able to land the plane." My friend said sometimes the cargo fan isn't put on. Come on guys, you don't want that to cause damage or crash a plane. I'm reaching out to you because this is where careers start and I want to nip probs before they grow. I'll be back on later to collect info.

Does anyone else get the thought that the above rambling might be an encrypted message, where you have to circle every 7th word or something to get the real message????

I don't have time to waste to try to figure it out, but then again, maybe I do since I'm reading/posting on FI.com!

An other time I was talking to a FO this career fair and I asked how many CAP's display anti-authority. He said not many, but one time he said there was a captain that wouldn't board because they were in E-Dick, or something like that.

Sounds like an anti-anti-authority attitude...if you have an EDCT two hours from now why would you board your passengers, push and wait around for your Departure Time.

Don't let the FAA take your student pilot certificate for being a dumbass.

Gohomeitis

Take of brief: If we lose an engine after V1 we will run the appropriate check list and continue on a heading to land at the nearest suitable airport.

Definition of nearest suitable airport: the one where my truck is parked.

Why did all my FOs look at me funny when I told'em we weren't going around no matter what. I don't care if it's the runway, taxiway, ramp, or grass; I've got a flight to catch.

BTW, until s**t is flying up in the air around you, you're not in real turbulence. Now if I could just find the c/b for the over speed warning....

Mr Esquire, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've
ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything
that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now
dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy
on your soul.

E-dick...

I hope you share that with the local FSDO!

(Okay, that was sarcastic and you do seem to have good intentions. Sorry)

The path to hell is paved with good intentions...

I know that it's a little tough to understand as reporters from all the major media report about things they have no grasp of all the time.

You need to get a grip and understand what is going on. Not the way some commentator does reading a teleprompter, but by doing.

If you can't do it, get some people on board that are or have been in the recent past. Otherwise you will at best be ignored and at worst get the attention of some numbskull Congressman/Senator that knows even less than you and insists on doing something-which will most likely be wrong!

If you want to address a problem I would suggest that you dig up all of the NTSB and NASA reports that mention fatigue and lean on the feds to do something about rest and duty time regulations.

It isn't impossible for airlines to schedule commutable lines, but it is a minor inconvienience that they often just won't take the time to do.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back