Hawthorne University

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flash 7

I know this has been covered to some extent before, but can anyone tell me if a Hawthorne degree is accepted by most carriers. Is this a "buy a degree or is it a legitamite outfit?

Hawthorne is not regionally accredited, which means their credits will not transfer to other credited colleges/universities. Also, most employers, at least government organizations, require a degree from an accredited college or university.

I understand that Government agencies would not accept it. I'm more interested in air Carriers. I know from previous posts that SWA, NWA does. How about Alaska, UAL, FDX, UPS, JB ATA, AWA DAL and all the others. It seems that a lot of carriers just want to fill in the box and are really not concerned with the degree. I have a friend who was hired by UAL back in the 1990's with a degree from the University of Phoenix, I don't believe their accredited.

Any Carrier input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

University of Phoenix is accredited by the North Central Accrediting Association I think.

They are accredited. There is a previous post about http://www.excelsior.edu check them out they are accredited and very cheap. A guy said that they are 1/10 the price Embry Riddle.

University of Phoenix is expensive and requires you to have a laptop and you have to be online at certain specific times (bad if you are at flight level 410).

Hope this info helps

I think the test that most majors and a lot of the regionals use is; Did you get any life credits and will any of the credits transfer to a "regular university". The answers that that they are looking for are no to the first question and yes to the second question.

Flash 7 said:
I understand that Government agencies would not accept it. I'm more interested in air Carriers. I know from previous posts that SWA, NWA does. How about Alaska, UAL, FDX, UPS, JB ATA, AWA DAL and all the others. It seems that a lot of carriers just want to fill in the box and are really not concerned with the degree. I have a friend who was hired by UAL back in the 1990's with a degree from the University of Phoenix, I don't believe their accredited.

Any Carrier input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I can tell you from personal experience that NWA and DAL do not take this recognize Hawthorn University!

University of Phoenix

The place is accredited by the North Central Association, according to what they say here and verified by the North Central Association itself.

Don't kid yourselves. You need a degree from an accredited school for it to help you with the airlines, or anywhere. Degrees from unaccredited schools are barely worth the paper on which they're written.

Good luck with school.

Latest resources

Back