Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyingdude

Hi all,

I just got typed in a Hawker, and will be flying the 800xp/900xp for a fractional company. Once I get some time in the airplane I would like to see iff I could get into doing some contract flying on some of my days off.

1) Will this be realistic since I will be fairly low-time in the Hawker. However, I do have a type rating in the aircraft.

2) Any suggestions on how to start? (i.e. whether to just visit the fbo's, send resume's, etc.) I live in the DFW area.

3) What is the going rate for a type-rated Hawker pilot? (I will fly in either seat that they want me in)

I have never done contract flying such as this, so I thought I would seek some advice from those of you with the experience. Thanks for the input in advance.

1st, question ... why? Lots of fulltime contractors out there who would appreciate the work.

If you chose to do this you should expect $600-800 a day.

Check out www.flycontract.com

You will see what everyone else is making and the competition. Just don't be a dork and undercut everyone. As long as you insist on the going rate, then fair is fair and the full time guys shouldn't get too pissed off.

1st, question ... why? Lots of fulltime contractors out there who would appreciate the work....

Why NOT!

Nothing wrong with accumulating wealth....

In case you're behind in current events...you know...Wall Street, economy, etc...

We got to take care of ourselves!

Knock on some doors at ADS. Lots of corporate aviation there. Having little or no experience in the aircraft should get you in the door somewhere. Some companies won't like it but others might give you some work. Good luck!

just be careful who you fly, some fracs really frown on outside flying.....by really frown i mean you'll probly do contract work full-time.

Hi all,

I just got typed in a Hawker, and will be flying the 800xp/900xp for a fractional company. Once I get some time in the airplane I would like to see iff I could get into doing some contract flying on some of my days off.

1) Will this be realistic since I will be fairly low-time in the Hawker. However, I do have a type rating in the aircraft.

2) Any suggestions on how to start? (i.e. whether to just visit the fbo's, send resume's, etc.) I live in the DFW area.

3) What is the going rate for a type-rated Hawker pilot? (I will fly in either seat that they want me in)

I have never done contract flying such as this, so I thought I would seek some advice from those of you with the experience. Thanks for the input in advance.

Where do you live? There's literally a ton of contract flying in the southeast US.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input that you have all given. I am aware that my company needs to approve of the flying that I would be doing on the side. I have spoken to many who do this at my company. I have heard that they will approve flying for a Part 91 company that is not in direct competition. I will ask for this to be approved, however, if it is not then I won't do it, as I won't compromise my current position.

I live in the DFW area, so I will probably look at ADS or Love Field, however, I can get to about any airport fairly easily.

I am brand new in the airplane, therefore, I understand that i will probably need to get some time in the plane before I am competitive. I do have a type in the plane, so I am hoping that will help.

Thanks again for all the input.

Latest resources

Back