• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawker Collides With Glider at 16,000 over Reno

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The jet crew need their tickets pulled and shredded for flying directly into another legally operating aircraft.

Crimson03 said:
The jet crew need their tickets pulled and shredded for flying directly into another legally operating aircraft.

Ha!!!
You sir, are a ******************************bag. :laugh:

Crimson03 said:

Interesting point. If they were VFR then they are screwed, the glider has the right of way. But since they were at 16000 and decending...as the article suggests then they were probably still IFR in which case they are probably OK since ATC would have to absorb some of the blame also. Would depend on many factors, type of airspace, airways they were on etc etc. The article stated they were at 300 kts, not too hard to miss a glider at that speed, especially with no TCAS to alert them. Interested to see the NTSB report on this one and find out the details and ATC control status prior to the collision.

Crimson03 said:

Just curious how much time you have at 300KTS. I have had A TCAS Target, a vector from the controller and still not been able to see an aircraft that I knew was there. You just must be that much better than the jet crew.:rolleyes:

I think the crew did an awesone job.

Also, I heard the glider was doing acro, which would explain the parachute. There is no telling where that thing came from.

But I am sure you would have seen it no matter what.:puke:

Crimson03 said:

If that is true, the glider pilot will also need his ticket pulled. It is the responsability of ALL pilots to see and avoid. Being that he was at 16,000 ft, he had plenty of ability to manuver as well. Why did he not see the Hawker?

A hot air ballon might be a differnt story. Your right of way argument does not apply here in my opinion.

400A said:
If that is true, the glider pilot will also need his ticket pulled. It is the responsability of ALL pilots to see and avoid. Being that he was at 16,000 ft, he had plenty of ability to manuver as well. Why did he not see the Hawker?

A hot air ballon might be a differnt story. Your right of way argument does not apply here in my opinion.

For the sake of argument, since the article does not lend enough facts to make any real judgements:

Your first paragraph does not hold up well. The glider goes what? 60kts 70? The jet was running 300 kts. For all we know the jet ran up the gliders tail at a 230 kt closure rate.

The second paragraph does not hold up well considering the FAR's clearly state that an unpowered aircraft always has right of way over a powered aircraft.

Latest resources

Back