Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

volunteer

Saturdays in the fall.
Looking for thoughts on this airplane good, bad, or ugly. Realistic range. Is it a maintenance queen? Great airplane with no complaints?

Thanks.

Good, Bad, but not ugly

Personally I love the Hawker. Granted I haven't flown any other midsize aircraft, but it is a joy to fly. We've logged 5.5-5.7 hours block on it which is too long for me anyway. It is a pig, though, being only good for 350-380 depending on fuel load (380 is a stretch sometimes!). If you stretch it up you will be at .72-.73 until you burn off some fuel. Avionics is a toss up, we have 2 of the dirty 30s and neither is the same. We have an 1984, 1985, and 1989 and the 84 and 85 can have periods of everything going wrong mechanically. The 89 has been a dream so far and has the fully integrated avionics package with the NZ2000 FMS. Overall I could fly an 800 for my career and be very happy! Good luck!

Underpowered
Slow
Good-size cabin
Comfortable cockpit
Honeywell avionics are a must
Did I say underpowered?

Personally I love the Hawker. Granted I haven't flown any other midsize aircraft, but it is a joy to fly. We've logged 5.5-5.7 hours block on it which is too long for me anyway. It is a pig, though, being only good for 350-380 depending on fuel load (380 is a stretch sometimes!). If you stretch it up you will be at .72-.73 until you burn off some fuel. Avionics is a toss up, we have 2 of the dirty 30s and neither is the same. We have an 1984, 1985, and 1989 and the 84 and 85 can have periods of everything going wrong mechanically. The 89 has been a dream so far and has the fully integrated avionics package with the NZ2000 FMS. Overall I could fly an 800 for my career and be very happy! Good luck!

What range are you getting with 6 people?

Typical

For us, BOW=16,000 (it is heavy, they range from 15.3 to 16.0),say 6 @180=1080, 200#baggage gives you 17,280. Max TO=27,400, Max Ldg 23,350, so you can take all 10,000# of fuel if you are going to burn 4,000#. (That is about a 2.3 hour flight). We do occasionally run into ZFW (17,520) with our heavier aircraft when we take 9 pax.

Yes, it is very underpowered but it still is a great airplane. Still does well on one engine which I unfortunately found out once! It has rudder bias which was required for cert. and you can practically fly feet on the floor during engine out ops.

Sorry, I ran on. To answer your question you can get all 5.5 hours out of it with 6 pax and enough runway to takeoff at 27,400.

I was an FO on a trip we flew an 800A for 6.5hrs pulled way back to .65M(or in that neighborhood and FL410. It was many years ago so I'm not positive on the speed, but I am positive on the 6.5hrs and we landed with 1400 reserve. We could normally get 2550NM range without sweating.

say 6 @180=1080, 200#baggage .

Yea what kind of people are you taking. Don't get me wrong, I have seen people that weigh 180lbs, but in reality I count every male as 200 with every female at 150 unless after visual contact even that is too low. And if those numbers don't work, then I whip out the scale and ask everyone to step on the scale.

Too many people are taking off over gross weight. Originally our BEW said 13900 and they had the BOW at 14,400. Yea right the pilots alone are over 425 between the two of us let alone all the other stuff on the aircraft. Plus passengers always bring on tons of laptops, brief cases, and crap, and the average male is around 200 anyway.

6 @200 plus 300 baggage, plus 200 for BOW error, is more accurate!

PS. Maybe I just get the chunky ones.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back