Hawker 1000 v XL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilot83

Looking at mid-size options right now. Owner looking at both, there is quite a bit of info about the XL out there but anyone have the good, bad, and ugly on the 1000? Maybe even real world comparisons?

Looking at mid-size options right now. Owner looking at both, there is quite a bit of info about the XL out there but anyone have the good, bad, and ugly on the 1000? Maybe even real world comparisons?

Are we talking older XL or newer XLS or XLS+?

The Excel & Hawker 1000 are really two different classes of aircraft.

The Hawker has a cabin that's six feet longer, but 6" narrower than the Hawker 1000.
The Excel carries about 1.5x the baggage volume of the Hawker.

The Hawker 1000 has a range of around 3,000 NM while the Excel has 1,800 NM of range.

The Hawker 1000 will cost at least $600/hr more than the Excel.

The BFL of the Excel is far superior to the Hawker 1000 by around 2000'.

The Excel is an airplane that is still in production, and there are several hundred out in the field. The Hawker 1000 is long out of production, and there weren't many in the field to begin with (52, I believe).

The Hawker 1000 is a nice airplane, but it's getting old. Product/parts support is getting tough.

Yeah looking at numbers, size and fuel wise two different classes, overall acquisition and operation its almost in the same class. XL more to buy 1000 more to operate. My big thing is parts and things like that curious how much interchanges with the 800 because that could solve a few issues. Only real negative about XL is range, has that improved much with the XXLS XLS+?

In my opinion Cessa Products/Support are far superior to Hawker/Beechcraft...

NCherches -

Great info!

You really think the above is true? What makes you say that?

I am curious which Hawker Beech products have you flown & managed when you compare them to Cessna products?

Last edited:
XL a fine Cessna product. They are known for support and simplicity in maintaining them.
The Hawker 1000 is getting a bit old. I know there are many former NJ 1000's available. They spent the last few years with a southeast charter operator. They all have 10,000+hours and you should stay away from them. The latest operator was known for their lack of mtc.
Be careful.
If you are looking to set up yourself for success, stay with the XL.

I have been operating a Raytheon/Hawker Beech product for the last 6 years and their customer service has been excellent and I am a demanding SOB. :eek:
Now would I consider a 1000 - No.

NCherches -

Great info!

You really think the above is true? What makes you say that?

I am curious which Hawker Beech products have you flown & managed when you compare them to Cessna products?

yada yada....Hyundai -vs- KIA...

You guys need to get Gulfstreams.

Let us pray:

"Few aircraft embody such an iconic level as genuinely as a Gulfstream.

To a pilot, this jet is a symbol of all that a flying machine should be – and more. A mix of complexity and capability that engages the mind, yet never numbs it; a blend of luxury with the assurance that comfort is still second to safety; a combination of form and function that resonate as one.

Throughout the history of aviation both men and machines alike have reached this loftiest dais of distinction. Indeed, their relationship to one another is often so interwoven that they are often synonymous with one another"

Latest resources

Back