• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian, southwest, delta, American, United and Alaska guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What triggers your out time? Brake release, beacon, main cabin door closure?

When both of these are satisfied: L1 door closed and parking brake released. The time stops when both the parking brake is set and the L1 door is opened.

I don't know for sure, but I assume it's the same for most airlines and their various aircraft.

Bubba

Alaska

All man doors closed, breaks released or engine oil pressure = Out.
Any man door open with breaks set = In.

At HAL "in" on the 330 is tied to ANY door open, so if you pull into the gate and have a long customs hold from an international, you may sit there not getting paid for a while if the cargo doors open. You will also not get an "out" until actual pushback, so same deal if you have to deice at the gate no luck. You could in fact command an evacuation at the gate with all pax doors closed and slides armed, and not get paid for your time!

Also SWA gives back the first 5 minutes of any overfly.

At HA, unfortunately, it's tied to aircraft movement at push back.

HAL

Huh, must be a scare-bus thing? Are the short buses the same way?
Fi-fi strikes again!!

Also SWA gives back the first 5 minutes of any overfly.

So tell me, Fletch, what has that got to do with the topic at hand? Other than you taking an opportunity to bitch about Southwest, I mean, despite one thing having nothing to do with the other. And you say "also," as if our block time counting was disadvantageous compared to other airlines. It actually seems to be one of the best, seeing as how the plane doesn't actually have to move to start block time, and on the way in, it doesn't stop until the L1 door specifically is opened. This means if the Ops agent is late, you're still "blocking" time, even if the cargo doors are opened, until the jetway finally shows up and the front door is opened. This is better than what most others have described in this thread.

Also, you're wrong about overfly "give backs." It's the first four minutes of overfly that don't count, not five. The fifth minute of overfly, and each additional minute, pay an extra .02 tfp, totaling 1.2 tfp per hour of overfly (after four minutes, that is).

Jeez, read the actual contract already, whydoncha'?

Bubba

The ACARS can be programmed to report times on many criteria;it's up to the Company which metrics to use. For example, AirTranz used aircraft movement to track departure times, but Pilots got paid from L1 closed to L1 open. That way, we got paid for any pushback delay- ramp congestion, late arriving bags, EDC times, etc.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back