Hawaiian adds 717s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FWIW
The pilots they have hired all seem exceptional.
The Chief Pilots office still has a lot of influence.
As can be expected, if someone hasn't been hired they think the system is all screwed up.
They are not done hiring all the people that they have interviewed.
What about the 8 hired before 9/11? Constant phone calls and resume updates for 6 years letting them know that HAL was STILL the number one choice.. and yet we were told to go pound sand and get in line with all the other people who didn't give 2 ********************s about you guys 7 years ago. I know this because i was one of the poor bastards that wanted Hawaiian more than most people. I got lucky and got on with net jets last year, but a buddy of mine that was hired with me at HAL 7 years ago is stuck at America West. He has updated,upadated and made phone call after phone call. He has even made the obligatory trip to HNL to meet the CP more than once with no luck. No entitlement here, but at least another shot for somebody who has done more than enough to merit another chance would be nice. Congratulations to the guys who have made it..and yes the system is screwed up. Rant over.

Sorry to hear that. You got screwed. The fact that you got hired and canceled 8 years ago and were still interested should have given you hyper priority. That sucks (and if that's you in your avatar and you made it, I would have hired you on the spot!).
All I can say is they can't hire every deserving pilot out there so the system is flawed but if you want to fly airplanes and surf, Hawaiian is worth your effort.
Keep pushing you were hired and canceled and still want to work here.
I would think the best approach would be to keep pushing you were hired once and gone through no fault of your own and still want to be here without showing any bitterness or sense of entitlement about it.
While nothing is for sure, I heard at some New York airline conference that Dunkerely said Hawaiian will be adding one new Asian destination a year for 5 years.
We also are supposed to be getting at least 2 A-330's ahead of the 24 ordered in 2010.
Good luck, although I've always thought NetJets looks like a pretty cool way to go too. Especially if you could go do a stint in Europe for a couple years. Guethary looks like a fun version of Sunset.

Thanks Dan..My wife has put the brakes on my hawaiian dream! The net jet thing is pretty sweat.. I live in san diego with no commute anymore. That along with all the other perks have hopefully made net jets my final stop. I have absolutely NO desire to fly for an airline again, but hawaiin is still a dream i can carry the rest of my life. I was so close! Tell BF (frisky) i will try and make his upgrade party at pearl nightclub. Its about time he upgraded;)

hey midwest has plenty of 717 drivers on the street. I thought people always get "in" when they have time in type...?

hey midwest has plenty of 717 drivers on the street. I thought people always get "in" when they have time in type...?
Although that can't hurt, a much bigger 'in' is knowing someone at the airline. Think about it; HA is a fairly popular place for people to send resumes when we start hiring. Even when we weed out those that don't have outstanding experience, we're still left with an enormous stack of possibilities. We couldn't even begin to interview the thousands of qualified wanna-be's, so we have to further reduce the pile somehow. Since we'll be sitting in the cockpit with these new-hires for hours and hours during a trans-Pacific flight, we'd like to make sure they aren't an outstanding pilot with a huge chip on his/her shoulder or some other oddball personality disorder. The only way to know that is for someone we already know (current employee) to vouch for or recommend that person. That is what we use to bring the number of possible applicants down to a manageable number. A lot of other smaller airlines use the same method.

I know it sucks, especially if you have your heart set on working someplace. But if you don't know anyone there, your chances have probably been cut pretty dramatically.

HAL

HAL,

Makes sense regarding the "over qualified" applicants. However, it appears that HR has taken over the hiring process. Any chance of the people who actually sit in the seat, next to the "new hire", get the ball back in their court?

HAL,

Makes sense regarding the "over qualified" applicants. However, it appears that HR has taken over the hiring process. Any chance of the people who actually sit in the seat, next to the "new hire", get the ball back in their court?

It doesn't look like it.

we'd like to make sure they aren't an outstanding pilot with a huge chip on his/her shoulder or some other oddball personality disorder.
:erm: Umm... You're not talking about me are you??

Hal, good point. however, I think what I was trying to say is, as the market has become extremely competetive the airlines have become "picky". If you do not have MD11 time, no way you will get into World. No 757 time, Omni will not look at you....Now if you have the time in type, Oh, now you need to know someone. you know somebody at the company, oh wait , now you have to be female to get a job, now male, minority..... you get the point? not everybody that applies has a chip on the shoulder and if you can keep training costs down because , for example, you can get approval for a short course from the feds ( like other airlines have done) Hr/ mgt would be all over that.

Latest resources

Back