Hawaii Aviation/ Nippon Air Cargo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dojetdriver

I did a search but not to much recent info. Anybody know what the Pay, QOL, and trips look like when working for these guys?

Well the pay is around 90k a year. 80% of that through training, which is held in Tokyo for around 7 months. Schedules depend on the base. SFO supposebly works around 14-15 a month. JFK is a little more but I think they are shorter trips. I applied there, and backed out before I went to Tokyo for the sim and medical. Just could not spend that long away for training. They lock you into a contract but could not tell me honestly what happens if their (HACS) contract is not renewed.

Also they do things different in Japan and take anal to a whole new level. Example if a switch is to be pressed with the index finger and you press it with the middle finger it will be debriefed. Upgrade is based off merit and if they think you are good enough. Also from day one they will keep an eye on your every move, they do not like people that create any sort of wave. I know a guy over there and he seems to like it so far. Good luck.

Capt.LongThrust said:
. Example if a switch is to be pressed with the index finger and you press it with the middle finger it will be debriefed. .

Really ? Well, I can think of a little "finger" briefing I would use in this situation...

Capt.LongThrust said:
Well the pay is around 90k a year. 80% of that through training, which is held in Tokyo for around 7 months. Schedules depend on the base. SFO supposebly works around 14-15 a month. JFK is a little more but I think they are shorter trips. I applied there, and backed out before I went to Tokyo for the sim and medical. Just could not spend that long away for training. They lock you into a contract but could not tell me honestly what happens if their (HACS) contract is not renewed.

Also they do things different in Japan and take anal to a whole new level. Example if a switch is to be pressed with the index finger and you press it with the middle finger it will be debriefed. Upgrade is based off merit and if they think you are good enough. Also from day one they will keep an eye on your every move, they do not like people that create any sort of wave. I know a guy over there and he seems to like it so far. Good luck.

Thanks,

Any idea what competitve hiring times are/were for your friend there?
Also, any idea what they mean that commuting is allowed if they don't have any formal JS agreements with anybody?

I was invited to Tokyo for the sim and medical with 4600 TT. 1600 TP PIC, and around 1000 of 757 with international experience. The guys I know over there were considerably higher time with jet PIC, one was a former checker. As far as commuting with HACS they give you a $300 a month commuting allowance.

I had a friend that was hired into the JAZ system on the DC-10 through HACS (now I admit, this was several years back, but the moral of the story is still relevant). He was HNL based, and commuting was not an issue. What WAS an issue (for him) was the culture shock and being treated as an outcast and second-class citizen as an expat among all the Japanese crewmembers he flew with. In fact, it got so bad that he bailed. As a result, HACS sued for breach of contract and it cost him over 40K to settle. However, to this day he feels it was worth it just to get out.

Of course, this is only one man's story and everyone has different expectations and different levels of adaptability. But, I believe it is safe to say that regardless of who you are, your adaptability will be tested.

Yank McCobb said:
I had a friend that was hired into the JAZ system on the DC-10 through HACS (now I admit, this was several years back, but the moral of the story is still relevant). He was HNL based, and commuting was not an issue. What WAS an issue (for him) was the culture shock and being treated as an outcast and second-class citizen as an expat among all the Japanese crewmembers he flew with. In fact, it got so bad that he bailed. As a result, HACS sued for breach of contract and it cost him over 40K to settle. However, to this day he feels it was worth it just to get out.

Of course, this is only one man's story and everyone has different expectations and different levels of adaptability. But, I believe it is safe to say that regardless of who you are, your adaptability will be tested.

That is the feeling I got as well. Second class citizen. There is a reason they pay you what they do. The question for me was what happens when HACS does not renew their contract? The answer was a vague one of "that won't happen". BS. I have seen too much already in my short time in this industry and know anything will happen. Now if they paid me the rest of the 4 year contract it would be a different story. Coupled with being over in Tokyo for 7 months and trying to stay married made the decision for me.

I agree, 7 months is a loooooong time unless the MRS comes along.

I've got a question for those of you who have been through the interview/medical. A friend of mine was invited for an interview (ex navy). He's got a ton of experience, but has a LOT of tattoo's (none which are visible in a short sleeved uniform). He and I have both heard lot's of stories about the physical, and he is concerned about the reaction to his tattoo's. Is this something that he would be bounced for? Thanks in advance.

Latest resources

Back