Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Having AME also serve as Primary/GP Doc?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ZeroThRUST

I'm around 50 and never had any health issues or need for extra medical visits. The only time I've been to a Dr office in over 20 yrs has been for my FAA medicals. So, after about 14 yrs with the same Dr, I decided to change AMEs for my most recent 1st class w/ EKG.

I got through with no issues and didn't feel I was subject to any extra scrutiny (except for the eye exam).

During the exam and brief conversation, he said that at my age that I should have a Primary Care Doc and a "comprehensive physical". Of course he suggested it be with him. He got good reviews at those Physician 'rating/review' sites so I thought it might be a good idea.

I expressed my concern regarding any future health issues/visits, etc. He said, "all records are totally seperate", but that I'd still have to report any visits/treatment, etc on the app form.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback regarding this. Do any of you use your AME as Primary/GP Doc?

Thanks

Absolutely not.

I consider my health and my job (i.e., medical cert) to be two entirely different things. I want an AME that spends as little time looking at me as possible, and obviously I wouldn't want my doctor doing the same.

I wouldn't do it.

What he said. No way. I'm nervous enough that my AME and my primary care are in the same hospital. And there's nothing wrong with me at all. But why take that risk. You want a primary care doctor you can discuss everything with, your AME you tell only what you legally must.

Never!!, your GP should run all kinds of tests on a routine basis to see if everything is working OK, if it is not, you certainly would not want your AME to be the first to know. I ahve great GP who does not know my AME, I have an AME that has a drive through service, where you self serve for your pee test.

Latest resources

Back