• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again,

RIP guys.

bozt45 said:
And what exactly were they "playing with" that they shouldn't have been, the engines? throttles? ?????
The Captain shouldn't have been playing in the right seat, and the FO shouldn't have been playing in the left seat.

Not only did they swap seats during the climb, they swapped again during the descent, with both engines NOT OPERATING. After the second seat swap, the Captain's radio transmissions were never heard, likely due to the incorrect configuration of the Comm panels. Who needs that kind of distraction while passing through 10,000 feet in a 50-seat glider?

I'd say there's plenty of blame to go around, but the crew is certainly not innocent.

bozt45 said:
God forbid a pilot operates an aircraft within it's cretified envelope. :rolleyes:
410 is a max. That doesn't mean it can always get there or is always "certified" to do so. The POH contains charts which consider weight and ISA deviation to set the plane's max altitude in a given environment.

I'm really getting pissed off about this right now (again). We all want to (and will) learn from all of this, but I can't stomach people with little or no experience in the industry (with the exception of riding in the back) having diarrhea of the mouth. From the un-official information I have heard and read, the crew doesn’t appear blameless, but to portray their actions in the light Mr. Stempler did is just plain sensationalism. He didn’t have to use the language that he did, so why did he? It would appear that he wants to get a sound bite on FOX, CNN and Headline News. Why? Because it drums up business for his fee-based Air Travelers Association.

In my opinion, he is just another guy (and aviation lawyer) trying to make a buck at the expense of others.

A search of the airman registry for D Stempler returned 0 records, but I found this interesting article.

Again,

RIP guys.

Last edited:
The Lear 55 is certified to 510. I remember being at 470 once, and thinking that we are sure flying slow, .74(I wasn't flying). Just because its certified to fly there doesn't mean its okay.

In fact isn't the ceiling certification mainly predicated on time to descend, and other factors are secondary(such as engine parameters, and pressurization, because they are so variable)?

I think they probably were so slow when they got to 41-0, that they had a flame out. Instead of descending immediately and dealing with the problem, were distracted and didn't want to get in trouble or whatever. Five minutes later the other engine flamed out. This implies that the stayed at 410 with one engine for five minutes. Then because of the speed they were flying at the second one goes.

No offense meant, but I have always kept the Gremlin on my back quite when it comes to dicking around. We all have this little voice in our head, saying "lets have some fun." And if you don't curb it early in your career you become more apt to doing things down the road you have no business doing. I hear stories from some pilots that are proud of doing things that are ridiculous, and I don't even humor them with a laugh.

Traumahawk said:
Their conversation doesn't sound too different than most normal conversations between 2 pilots when flying, let alone empty.

Question is, how many other times did people do this and come down just fine....they screwed the pooch and paid for it...

No need to bash them though.

T-Hawk

Normal conversation? --- "dude"---

Maybe where YOU fly....(really?)

Everything these guys did was FAR from normal.

These fools should not have been at the controls of a wet dream, nevermind a jet.

Thank God Yours or My family was not on board or in their crash path.

All we can hope is that these ratty operators learn something from it. (Like hire qualified people and train them to accpetable standards)

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:

These fools should not have been at the controls of a wet dream, nevermind a jet.

All we can hope is that these ratty operators learn something from it. (Like hire qualified people and train them to accpetable standards)

Yea T-Hawk, didn't you know you're not allowed to say "dude" int he cockpit??

Gulfstream 200 said:

Ratty Operators? "Grotteny Borther's Flying Service" was a ratty operator.

I'm sure these guys were just the biggest cowboys with 50 pax on board too. Prob did loops and rolls in IMC all the time, and noone ever knew. :rolleyes:

Glad the b@stards aren't around to bring down another ratty operator. I'm sure that was what they were trying to do.

These guys got caught with their pants down. They died. But if you think for one second it's not in the nature of a lot of perfectly decent guys to screw around when the things are empty you're wrong. I'm not saying it's right, but it's gone on before this plenty. That plane has been in service for quite a while.

Lets not sit here in the wake of something that is OVER and speculate and criticize.

T-Hawk

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back