have you heard of...?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Socal

Going into SNA from over the water, there is at least one controller who is very serious about not exceeding the speed limit.

250 or Bust?

All of us should know once we are below 10K feet we are usually less than a hundred miles from our destination. The extra juice we pour on below that altitude is definitely not worth the couple minutes we might save by going an extra 50 knots or so to cover the next 15 minutes of travel time.

PS-birds are no fun at 250(+) knots.

AA717driver said:
h25b--I love your signature. I've tried so hard to get called a m****rf**ker and it's just not working out. :( ;) TC

Keep trying TC, keep trying. That kind of reputation only took about 1100 posts to achieve. I don't know what your problem is... I am what I am... :D

By the way, I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the weather was in Indiana for Christmas, I might even come back next year... I didn't get the kids up to the childrens' museum though, didn't have time.

Last edited:
FlyingPieceOfSt said:
PS-birds are no fun at 250(+) knots.
Good point. I hit a little tiny bird at 250KIAS in a Conquest II. It sounded like someone hit the windshield with a baseball bat and left a groove in the glass you could feel with your fingernail.

A few of us FlightInfo'ers used to work with a certain "captain" at a 135 dept. He had the habit of entering the pattern (1500' AGL) at 300+KIAS.:eek: It happened more than a few times and he was never violated but he went through alot of co-pilots.

Don't broadcast speed on radio

In 1990 I was doing proving runs with FAA to put the DHC-6 on a 135-scheduled commuter certificate. Drummond Island Air. We were flying into APN from DTW at our max speed of 170 Kts IAS. Radar tells us they have faster traffic over taking us going into APN; we are at 7,000'. It is Great Lakes B-1900; he comes screaming us by with about a 1/2 mile VFR separation. The Fed on the jumpseat says "Ask him how fast he is going" So I call him on the freq. and ask "Boy that thing is really moving out, how fast are you going?" The 1900 comes back with "We got this thing on the Red Line 272 Kts" Fed picks up the mike and says "This is FAA insp. Jones, see me on the ground" Should have seen how quickly the B-1900 slowed down. Fed gave him a warning.

pilotyip said:
In 1990 I was doing proving runs with FAA to put the DHC-6 on a 135-scheduled commuter certificate. Drummond Island Air. We were flying into APN from DTW at our max speed of 170 Kts IAS. Radar tells us they have faster traffic over taking us going into APN; we are at 7,000'. It is Great Lakes B-1900; he comes screaming us by with about a 1/2 mile VFR separation. The Fed on the jumpseat says "Ask him how fast he is going" So I call him on the freq. and ask "Boy that thing is really moving out, how fast are you going?" The 1900 comes back with "We got this thing on the Red Line 272 Kts" Fed picks up the mike and says "This is FAA insp. Jones, see me on the ground" Should have seen how quickly the B-1900 slowed down. Fed gave him a warning.

That is funny, however you should have reminded the fed that you are a 135 operation and that you keep the cockpit sterile below 10,000! and politly tell him to maintain silence as well!

Or tell him to do it himself. When he grabs the hand mic snatch it from him and have him arrested when you land for interfernce with a crew member.

Last edited:
we were at cruise altitude in the mightly DHC-6 at 7,000', sterile cockpit did not apply. We had already had many impolite conversations with FAA over a variety of subjects during the proving runs.

Sterile cockpit for anything that's not safety related - 272 kias, under 10000 with a 1/2 mile seperation might be safety related.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back