• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Have you forgotten?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We just aborted on 31C at Midway for an EFIS screen going blank, taxied into the gate and were discussing this with maintenance. Our FA comes up and says "Someone just said that a plane hit the WTC". My first thought was that it was a little airplane. A few minutes later we heard ATC talking about that they were shutting down the airports for a national emergency. We went into the pilot lounge and about 30 Chicago Express employees watched the horror unfold on TV.

I still just can't believe my eyes whenever I see a video of that 2nd plane hitting the building.
typical broad.

I was working on the ramp for FDX at GFK that morning. We had just launched our last 727 when the MX guys called on the radio and told us to come to the breakroom. We all stayed to watch the news coverage and then we started getting the diversions.

I was enroute STL-FWA. ATC started sending planes to nearby airports. I asked what was going on-atc said national emergency due to events in NY and DC, they were shutting down the national airspace system.... that's all they would say. Spooky. I was waiting to see mushroom clouds. We were close enough to FWA so we were allowed to continue. At the gate a ramper climbed up the stairs on our SAAB and said terrorists were crashing planes into buildings. Walked into ops five mins before the first tower went down. Checked into the hotel, called friend to come get us, went to liquor store, went to sports store and got a frisbee-preceded to get hammered at the "frisbee golf" course in FWA. Stayed drunk for two days- cleared to fly again four days later. Terminated from CHQ a month later-out of seniority....

B

I was on my way to go surfing with my cousin. We strapped the boards down on the car and we headed out for some Jack in the Box Breakfast Jacks when we turned the radio on. We just sat in the car listening while parked at the beach. We didn't feel much like surfing. We drove back and were glued to the TV for the rest of the day.

CM

9/11/2001

I was a couple of weeks into my senior year of college and working on my Comm-Multi. I was up EARLY feeding my 15 month old son breakfast in San Diego. My military flyboy husband (who watches the news before work at O'crack thirty) told me I'd better come and take a look at the television.

The 3 of us sat there in amazement as we watched the second plane hit. No words to describe that moment except purely horrifying. One of those times when you just know that life as you once knew it was never going to be the same.

And yes, very eerie to not see big beautiful airplanes flying into SAN those following gorgeous San Diego mornings. I will never forget.

-FW

was sleeping in my dorm room at UND when I got a call from my mom saying she was in New York and just saw an airplane hit the tower. I turned on the TV and saw the footage of the second airplane hitting the tower. I was about three lessons away from my first solo, and thought my aviation career was over. Sat with a bunch of other aviation students and just watched TV coverage all day. Talked to my cousin in Chicago who was working in the Sears Tower at the time, and right in the middle he said "I gotta go." I freaked out, thinking Chicago had been hit. Turned out they were just evacuating the building.

Never, ever forget.

I had just dropped my youngest son off to pre-school and came back home and made a phone call to a girl friend. I turned on the TV and was flipping thru the channels,as we talked so the volume was low on the TV. I started watching the news without realizing it was the news. I said to my friend "This is a sick movie thats on this channel." she asked what was going on and I said "They just showed a airplane smash into the WTC." Then I turned up the volume and it all hit me at once as to the reality that was changing our lives at that moment.

I was a sophomore in high school at the time...

During the passing period from 1st to 2nd, rumors started spreading about a "small plane" hit a skyscraper in NYC. When we got to 2nd period we turned on the tube and watched in horror live as the second airplane hit the WTC. It was dead quiet in the room. My teacher told us right then and there, "Where you are, who you're with, right here and right now, you will never forget this moment for the rest of your lives..."

How right was she...it's etched

Some parents started pullng their kids out of school and eventually by lunch time they cancelled classes for the rest of the day.

RIP - Never Forget 9/11!

I was instructing in LIT at the time. I came in about 30 minutes before it happened to do some ground school. My student and I were loitering about, when the director of training came in and said someone had flown into the World Trade Center in NY. We turned the TV on, and a crowd gathered.

Our tv was then right next to the parts deparment at the FBO. You could hear they were watching as well. Then came the absolutely sureal moment when the second plane hit. You could hear the panic in the broacasters voice as it approached. I heard a lady in the parts department scream when it hit. I got a knot in my stomach and a chill came over me as all of us began to realize that this was no accident.

LIT then became a very busy airport, as quite a bit of DFW traffic was nearby. I would guess we got somewhere in the neigborhood of 30-40 planes in the next hour. They shut down runway 18 to park about 10 American MD-80's and 727's. It took a while for all of them to de-board and shutdown, but by early afternoon the airport was strangely quiet.

Some of us went driving around the airport to see what all was parked at the terminal late in the afternoon. As we drove to the east side the aiport, we spoted an aircraft cruising at high altitude above. It had been strange seeing an empty sky all afternoon, which made the presence of this one aircraft seem even stranger. We knew it was either Air Force 1, a decoy, or military.

How do you sum up what you feel about an event like that? I remember talking to family as events unfolded - saying that this was the Pearl Harbor of our age. A day that would always live in infamy, and one we would always rember - where we were, what we were doing, and who was with us.

May God bless those that were taken from us that day.

May he forever condem those who would murder or inflict suffering in his name, no matter what tounge it may be spoken in.

Never forget

Got out of the sim at 10:30 CT. Walked out of the box to hear about a hundred cell phones ringing and was told to leave the property. Really sobering to not hear anything...........no cars, no people, and certainly no airplanes. It took a minute to figure out the scope of what just occurred but when that came it scared the ca ca out of me. I long for the nation we were the months following that day. My good friend was bringing a 777 home and was given all kinds of crazy instructions from ATC and given morbid and odd messages from dispatch over ACARS only to find out later that he was suspected of being on a strategically chosen aircraft to be hurled into another target. Every time I hear his story it gives me the chills.

Latest resources

Back