Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

320AV8R

DUMP ALPA
It’s fairly standard that most airlines ask the following…

Have you ever been convicted of :

--a felony ?

--a DWI or DUI ?

--the sale, use, or possession of a controlled substance ?

--an FAA violation, aircraft accident, or incident ?

And according to a couple of sources, are now asking :

--have you ever failed a Checkride ?

While I understand the Company’s concern, is this really in the same category as the preceding “offenses” ?

Anyone can have a “bad sim ride”. I know a guy that was going through his 2nd (ugly) divorce, & tubed a PC. That doesn’t mean he’s a “bad” pilot. However, it seems that this “offense” is an equal disqualifier.

Brett Favre has thrown a huge amount of interceptions this season. That doesn’t mean he’s a “bad” QB, only that he’s off his game.

I don’t see it as severe an “infraction” as a felony, etc… I’d rather be sitting next to a guy that had to re-do an ILS once, than a guy accused, but not convicted of selling meth, arson, level 3 sex offense, etc…

320AV8R

Last edited:
I think that you may have hit on the point of the question; a failed checkride doesn't make one a bad pilot, and probably won't affect the outcome. But someone so wrapped around the axel that they lie about such an event may not be the personality they are looking for. It would not be the first time HR depaertments have pulled this "trick" - many applications ask if you have any speeding tickets in the same category - clearly not a disqualifier, but people have lost grea jobs over that little white lie.

My advice? Don't lie. Don't be TOO candid either; answer the question they are asking - no more no less. There are not enough pilots out there with perfect backgrounds to fill the airlines, eventually they will get to us with feet of clay.

I think it is a valid question. No one says you aren't getting hired because you busted a checkride. Hopefully it wasn't recent. I think it is important to accept the failure (not saying it was unfair and you got hosed) and that you learned something from it. People are getting hired now with 20+ years of flying experience and it certainly isn't unlikely that they had a failed checkride in their career.

Now if you have failed multiples (many bad days), that would be difficult to explain.

Not really a big deal.....

Latest resources

Back