Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetstar1

Just wondering,

I have not flown for about 12 yrs and am thinking of getting back into it. I have my private instrument and have been keeping up with the current regs. I have 300 hrs and a lot of complex time as well. In all reality how long would it take to get back on the horse (so to speak) I live in the Chicago area (palwaukee) would be closest if anyone has any good suggestions for decent schools.

Thanks,
Jetstar1

First thing is a BFR then about 10-15 hours with an instructor refreshing and you'll be fine.

Occam's Razor said:
jetstar1 wrote: I have not flown for about 12 yrs...

Yeah...I've been on the A320 a while too...
That's funny right thar I'll tellya what :D

"Yeah...I've been on the A320 a while too..." LMAO :D

"First thing is a BFR then about 10-15 hours with an instructor refreshing and you'll be fine."

I wouldn't let a doctor diagnose me over the phone and I wouldn't let an instructor tell me how much dual I need without ever flying with him. I just gave my dad a Flight Review (that's what they're calling BFRs nowdays) after a long break and he flies my C-170 better than me.

First thing would be to get a current FAR/AIM, a local sectional chart and a POH for the airplane you are planning on flying. Maybe a copy of the "Guide to the Flight Review"(?) by ASA to kind of narrow down the information that you'll need. Then do a little self study. Airplane's still fly the same, but a few of the regulations have changed over the years (and maybe you've heard about all these TFRs that keep getting pilots in trouble)

Now find a school/fbo with an airplane that you want to fly (hopefully it's the one that you've studied and you already have plenty of time in it.) Inside that school will be an instructor who has more than 400 hours and owns a razor. You might have to look hard, because he may only come out a couple of days a week or in the evening, but he'll be there. Hopefully he'll want you to schedule a couple of hours of ground and an hour of flight instruction with him. That might be enough for you, or it might be a place to start. Everybody is different, so it could be that you wonder how you were ever able to fly a plane, or it could be like you never missed a day. Either way, don't stress over it, have fun and welcome back.

Latest resources

Back