Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sedona16

Qantas suffers second A330 ADIRU failure:

The mystery surrounding what is now dubbed the Ningaloo Triangle centered at Western Australia's North West Cape near Exmouth deepened last week when it was confirmed that Qantas experienced a second air data inertial reference unit failure in just four months in the area.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said it was advised on Dec. 27 of an occurrence that day involving a QF A330-300 cruising at 36,000 ft. on its way from Perth to Singapore. Some 260 nm. northwest of Perth the autopilot disconnected and the crew received an Electronic Centralized Aircraft Monitor message (NAV IR 1 fault) indicating a problem with ADIRU No. 1. The crew implemented the new Airbus Operations Engineering Bulletin procedure by selecting the IR 1 and ADR 1 pushbuttons to off. The aircraft returned to Perth. ATSB said the incident "appears to be a similar event to a previous event involving an A330 aircraft." In the October incident, 70 of the 313 people onboard the A330 flying from SIN to PER were injured when the aircraft pitched up and then dove twice after a failure of ADIRU 1.

An ATSB preliminary report issued in November suggested the possibility that transmissions from a naval communications station interfered with onboard systems. A Malaysia Air Lines 777 experienced a similar upset in 2005 in the same area. With 177 passengers on board, the aircraft was climbing through FL370 when it suddenly pitched up and climbed to FL 410 with the airspeed decaying to 185 kts activating the stall warning and stick shaker. The crew battled the autopilot for some minutes before regaining control.

Yeah, it couldn't POSSIBLY be something screwy with the Airbus. A new Bermuda Triangle is the only logical explanation. That or aliens. Either one is FAR more plausible.

Did you hear what the Qantas pilot said to ATC after it happened? I think he said "Oh Crikey, a dingo ate my baby!"

Bye Bye--General Lee

Maybe I don't understand the situation, but why would a crew have to "battle the autopilot for several minutes"? Can't you just disconnect it? Maybe Airbus and that computer stuff won't let you do that. ???

To all the airbus haters, read a little further it also happened to one of you beloved 777s.

To all the airbus haters, read a little further it also happened to one of you beloved 777s.

Look at my stats....I fly the Airbus. It's not perfect, but as far as I'm concerned, you'll have to pull my cold, dead hands off the stick to get me out. At least at my company.

Qantas suffers second A330 ADIRU failure:

The mystery surrounding what is now dubbed the Ningaloo Triangle centered at Western Australia's North West Cape near Exmouth deepened last week when it was confirmed that Qantas experienced a second air data inertial reference unit failure in just four months in the area.
The western coast of Australia is exactly opposite 32.20N 64.45W (lat/long of Bermuda). Since there is a time-space disturbance that penetrates through the earth's core, this is to be expected.

The western coast of Australia is exactly opposite 32.20N 64.45W (lat/long of Bermuda). Since there is a time-space disturbance that penetrates through the earth's core, this is to be expected.

Isn't it hard to type with all of the crystals covering your chakras and that tinfoil helmet weighing your empty head down?

Dude, you're not serious are you?

As a self-professed dork that is uncomfortably learned on so-called 'paranormal' phenomenon these Triangles move constantly to add more mysterious disappearances to their credit to keep the legend alive. The Bermuda Triangle extends all the way up the Eastern Seaboard to New York by some accounts, again just to be able to claim as many lost ships and planes as possible to keep the paranormal book and television business robust. Robust it is thanks to the History Channel.

As a CAL pilot I think the Bermuda Triangle starts in Houston and runs on a line to Newark, then connects to Cleveland, and finally reconnecting to Houston again.

I think it is a new communist super weapon! ohh yea and my friend's, brother's, half sister who is sleeping with a janitor at NASA told me space aliens are helping them.

Latest resources

Back