• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

has jumpseating changed (again)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate jumpseating in uniform, because it's like an open invitation for people to ask you "what route do you fly?" or "shouldn't you be sitting up front?"

Actually, I jumpseated my whole career and always in uniform. Very rarely had annoying pax asking questions, and I didn't mind if they were cute!

Everything's easier in uniform, jump ahead in security, more respect from an agent at the gate, and I think more respect from the Captain when you meet him. It's just not a big deal, wear your uniform commuting.

Just wear your uniform. Problem solved.

Jumpseated the other night after my trip in LAS on old America West. I've been commuting for years, first time this has happened. Agent asked for my passport, I gave her my passport card and because the number didn't match my passport number which was on file in CASS she tried to deny me jumpseating. Fortunately the captain used common sense, checked all my credentials and allowed me to jumpseat home!

The TSA Nat'l standard is do not need to be in uniform, and do not need a "gate" pass.
HOWEVER, sometimes various airports/terminals do things there own thing and do not listen to TSA nat'l (much like the FAA and Regional Offices/FSDOs).

In terms of TSA/Security/Customs/Foreign Airports, etc. it is much easier in uniform and often saves a lot of time (and allows stuff like more carry-ons, higher carry-on weights, upgrades to 1st/Business Class, etc.).

If you are bothered in uniform, then don't wear one.

For me, the benefits outway the negatives, so I'm in uniform.

cliff
HSV

This happened to me in Atlanta a few weeks ago. They seem to change policy on a daily basis. I've been through there many times without a uniform and haven't had any problems since.

I fought this for a while at my local airport. Uniform requirement seemed to depend on who was working at the time. I finally just gave up and started wearing the uniform all the time.

Latest resources

Back