• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Has anyone out there gotten a job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have learned that a company's hiring process provides great insight into its culture. Therefore, he's better off not going to Commutair because (1) he was fed a line of bull, which means he would have been fed more bull as an employee, and (2) it would have been far more professional and considerate for the interviewer to have kept it buttoned and let the place send him a rejection letter.

You sir have no clue what you are talking about. The culture at CommutAir is very good and 9 out of 10 people that works here will tell you that. I'm still waiting for a response to my first question about who told her husband that he was not hired because of not being a full time CFI. In my past experience CommutAir has been more than fair with me, from interview, to training, to flying the line. You obviously have no idea of airline culture since no one ever hired you. Maybe it's a lack of skills in another area of your life that has kept you from getting a job. It's not about how much flight time you have. It's about becoming a well rounded person with good pilot skills and a good attitude.

Yes, the economy is rebounding. The Democrats hate it. Some regionals are hiring and I expect that pilot hiring will be slow, but it does appear that we are turning a corner in this economy.

Our freight levels are up and we are sending occasional ad hoc flights and even bumping freight once in a while.

Attitude

socalpilot said:
You obviously have no idea of airline culture since no one ever hired you.
Watch whom you accuse of not knowing airline culture. I had four airline interviews and a cattle call. No, I never was hired to fly the line but I was hired at Mesa to instruct in its airline school. I have former students who fly the line for Mesa. I learned first-hand about its "culture." I instructed students for Alitalia Airlines. We had their training captains on-site, so I learned a lot about its culture.

As far as judging companies from their interview process, I've held a fair number of jobs in my life in three different businesses and have had my share of interviews and job offers. I have found that with few exceptions if the interview process was handled professionally the company operated professionally and people were treated fairly.

Telling an interviewee curbside why he will not be hired is neither professional or considerate. It is tacky. Not to mention the "reason" that was given, if it, indeed, was the reason. H.R. could determine from his resume that he was not a full-time CFI. So, why was he brought in for the interview, and have his time wasted, not to mention possible out-of-pocket travel and lodging expenses, when it was pre-ordained that he would not be hired because he was not a "full-time" CFI? That is pretty shabby treatment in my $0.02 opinion. And you don't need to be part of "airline culture" to make that determination.
Maybe it's a lack of skills in another area of your life that has kept you from getting a job. It's not about how much flight time you have. It's about becoming a well rounded person with good pilot skills and a good attitude.
I've written lots about the vast numbers of resumes and apps I sent and the few replies I received therefrom. You need the chance to present yourself and the chance must be given in good faith.

If you doubt in the least that I did not have a "good attitude," I would have jumped for joy just to have been placed in a pool, much less being invited to class.

I had colleagues who were interviewed and hired by many of the same commuters which completely ignored my materials for years. Proving once and for all that you can, indeed, judge a book only by its cover.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back