• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hard Landing (the book)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The book is an excellent documentary of the industry but there is a big error in it - when the 1985 UAL pilot strike is mentioned (pg. 264), it says that there was a "corps of strikebreaking pilots, some 570 strong" in training, The class of 570 as they are known was NOT hired as strike replacements and they honored the strike at the risk of their jobs. In a later judgement, it was ruled that UAL had to honor their job offers to these pilots and retro pay was finally awarded. This group wears a pin with the number 570 on it to indicate their solidarity during the strike and with the striking pilots.

Nuts (the book)

Andy,
The book "Nuts" is more PR and marketing stuff for Southwest. Not a whole lot of depth.

Fly4ever: As I understand it, the 570 pilots hired were all part of Ferris's plan to break the striking pilots. However, ALPA, along with pilots on stike fron Contintental convinced the pilots in training not to cross. Pentzinger writes later on page 266 that only 6 of the 570 pilots crossed the picket line. Even worse for Ferris, after the strike was over the United pilots insisted that the 570 pilots were kept on. Pentzinger is correct, the 570 pilots were hired with the intent to break the strike, but in the end it didn't work.

Wiggums,
I appreciate your view on the issue but having known a member of the 570 for the past 10 years (who has read and recommended the book to me with the one caveat mentioned) I think that their insider view of the circumstances is more accurate. The majority if not all of the 570 were given job offers for open pilot positions contingent upon a new contract being signed by ALPA (this is how it was presented to them at interview time) not for positions that would be opening up due to the strike. As is the case in most airline negotiations, a strike is a last option and the 570 were well into or had completed training before the strike ever materialized. UAL obviously had an under-the-table plan for them but the group needed little or no convincing from ALPA to support the strike. They knew the importance of supporting the pilot group was a matter of future job security. It was only after they didn't cross the picket line that UAL claimed they were hired as replacement pilots and since they supposedly didn't do what they were hired to do UAL attempted to fire them.

One correction to add: The group did not receive retro pay from UAL, ALPA provided financial assistance.

Flying books

Sorry this is a little off topic--

The best flying book I ever read..."ChickenHawk" It's a must read. I told all my friends at Flightsaftey they must read it.

ChickenHawk by Robert Mason. MUST READ

So, tell us. What was chickenhawk about? Give us a bit to go on, and a good reason to buy it. Thanks..

I was browsing in our local library just yesterday and picked up a hilarious book on aviation. I can't remember the title of it offhand but it was written by a "Captain X". I only read it for an hour but would highly recommend you check it out.

Aviation books

Chickenhawk is the experiences of a "slick" UH-1 pilot in Vietnam. I have read it twice and I would think a helicopter pilot would get even more out of it, particularly the early chapters describing his flight training. Named because of the mixed emotions present when going into combat.

Andy--not much MASH-like about it; there was not a great deal of humor, but perhaps much cynicism about the war later in the book. Maybe a bit like the original MASH movie (very dark humor compared to TV).

As an aside, anyone know what finally became of the author? At the end of the book he discusses charges against him for drug smuggling, etc. I think this was published in early 1980s. Author is Robert Mason.

Book I read when I was a boy that fascinated me about flying was another must read - "God is my Co-Pilot". WWII fighter pilot and occaisional Flying Tiger.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back