Happy Birthday to Barry Goldwater

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flew the U-2 also:

After he easily won re-election in 1958, Goldwater was promoted to brigadier general in the Air Force Reserves. He not only piloted a U-2 reconnaissance plane to 50,000 feet, but later made an extensive inspection of the defense early warning line of radar alert stations stretched along the Arctic circle by flying all the way from Greenland over the North Pole to Alaska.

Barry Goldwater spent most of World War II flying nearly everything in the Army Air Corps inventory as a delivery pilot. Because of marginal eyesight, he was unable to qualify for combat duty. Even so, his war time flying did include the Burma "Hump" and numerous other hazardous assignments.

He retired from the USAFR as a Major General but continued to fly well into his 70's. By the time he was done, he had flown 165 different aircraft types.

The ringknockers in the crowd can thank Goldwater for leading the charge to create the US Air Force Academy.

He is, in my opinion, the greatest American produced by my home state and I am very fortunate to have met the man.

A true hero.

My first chance to vote...and he lost to the waste of DNA who gave us the War on Poverty. :crying::mad:

Favorite Goldwater quotes:

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."

"I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass."

"If everybody in this town connected with politics had to leave because of chasing women and drinking, you would have no government."

And my Pop's favorite:

"I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

Favorite Goldwater quotes:

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."

"I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass."

"If everybody in this town connected with politics had to leave because of chasing women and drinking, you would have no government."

And my Pop's favorite:

"I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

Too bad the Democrat demagogues had their way. Remember their answer to the Republican "In your heart you know he's right" slogan?

"In your guts you know he's nuts".

That 50 Trillion we've pissed away on Johnson's War on Poverty really worked out well, along with his massive VN build-up and micromanagement.

Too bad the Democrat demagogues had their way. Remember their answer to the Republican "In your heart you know he's right" slogan?

"In your guts you know he's nuts".

That 50 Trillion we've pissed away on Johnson's War on Poverty really worked out well, along with his massive VN build-up and micromanagement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

"We must either love each other, or we must die."

Peace Out Brothers....

Latest resources

Back